Monday, April 18, 2005

There Is No Friend Like Jesus

Several years ago I began to earnestly seek Jesus. He developed a sweet, intimate friendship with me as I spent intense time alone with Him each day reading and reflecting on His Word, the Bible. As I drew near to Him with a sincere heart in complete confidence of His promised faithfulness, He lavished on me His everlasting love. As He spoke to me—face to face, as a man speaks to His friend--I began to fall passionately in love with Him. He has become my Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.

Jesus is an all-inspiring, all-knowing, all-wise Counselor. In the classroom of my heart, He teaches me valuable lessons. Studying His amazing History book, I gain understanding of His will for my life. He offers me spiritual wisdom so that my life will honor and please Him as I do good things for others. All the while, I am learning to know Him better. Mercifully patient, He repeats a lesson until it finally penetrates my brain. His counsel is wonderful and His wisdom magnificent. There is no Friend more intelligent, honest, or patient.

My Mighty God holds me tightly in His grip of grace and never lets me go. He is an upright, unshakable and unmovable solid rock of infinite protection. I climb the pinnacle of His marvelous wonder and hide in the shelter of His presence. Calamities cannot consume me. Deadly plagues cannot devour me. Venomous vipers cannot make me their victim. He whispers in my ear, "I am here. Take courage, and do not be afraid." I peacefully rest in the safety of His presence. There is no Friend more powerful, steadfast, or reliable.

My loving Father chose, adopted, and redeemed me. His mercy and forgiveness run so deep. I am not worthy to be in His presence, yet He calls me His beloved child! In my rebellion, selfishness, and greed, I ran away from home and squandered my inheritance on worldly pleasures. Yet, when I came home hanging my head with shame, He accepted me with open arms just as I was–the dirt and smell telling of my escapades. He washed me and properly clothed me in a robe of righteousness for the party He threw in honor of my homecoming. Lavished with everlasting love, I am secure and serene with Him. Here at home in my heart, He lights a fire and tells me stories that teach me how to grow in spirit and strength. There is no Friend more loving, devoted, or merciful.

My Father delights in giving His children good and perfect gifts. As we walk hand-in-hand, He grants me indescribable peace, which guards my heart and mind. The world and all it’s "stuff" cannot compete with this priceless commodity. It is His present to me when I trust and obey. As I unwrap the incredible gift of His Word and gratefully accept it, the Holy Spirit hides it in the hollow of my heart. When waves of suffering buffet me and winds of affliction toss me about, His Son, the Prince of Peace rescues me. There is no Friend more faithful, trustworthy, or dependable.

Jesus is my best Friend. He does not judge me as the world judges. He accepts me just as I am—dirty and grimy, hurting and crippled, needy and poor in spirit. He is slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. I wait and listen for Him every day in the living room of my heart. At the sound of His voice, joy fills my mind. There is no Friend more precious, valuable, or dear. Because He is my Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace, I enjoy a sweet, intimate friendship with Him every day of my life.

No comments: