Tuesday, April 12, 2005

John 13: 34-35

Jesus said, 34So now I am giving You a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved You, You should love each other. 35Your love for one another will prove to the world that You are my disciples." NLT (emphasis mine)
1 John 3: 16-23 16We know what real love is because Christ gave up His life for us. And so we also ought to give up our lives for our Christian brothers and sisters. 17But if anyone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need and refuses to help--how can God's love be in that person?
18Dear children, let us stop just saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions. 19It is by our actions that we know we are living in the truth, so we will be confident when we stand before the Lord... 22And we will receive whatever we request because we obey Him and do the things that please Him. 23And this is His commandment: We must believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us. NLT (emphasis mine)

Father in Heaven-
You are a loving Father. O how I love Your law! It is more valuable to me than gold and silver. All Your commands are trustworthy. Studying Your amazing ancient History book teaches me that You are faithful and true.


Joseph’s jealous, cold-hearted brothers despised him. They hid him in a dark, dingy, disgusting cistern. They sold him to the Ishmaelites who took him to Egypt where he became a slave. Because he loved You with all his heart, he was able to show love to his masters. For his obedience, You blessed him with power, prestige and possessions. He then showed amazing love to the same belligerent brothers who betrayed him. Let his extraordinary love me an example to me.


I believe You put arrogant, callous brothers and sisters in my life to teach me Your laws. Help me to put love into action by actively, consistently, deeply loving difficult people. Loving them is not a choice. It is a command. Teach me dear Lord, to love selflessly, sacrificially and submissively. You show love by reaching out to the undeserving, unpleasant, and unkind. The only way I can love the unlovable is by believing Your Word.

Father, I believe that You loved me so extravagantly, that You gave Your Son, Jesus Christ to suffer and die for me. I am unworthy of Your love, yet You lavish me with it. I believe Your command to love others as You have loved me. Teach me to set aside my personal agenda and interests in order to express the exceptional love of Christ to my brothers and sisters.

May I live a life of such vibrant faith that it will be contagious and prove to the world that I am Your child. Lord, You are mine! I promise to obey You because I love and revere You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

How can you show the selfless love of Christ to an unlovable person today?

No comments: