Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Matthew 14: 22-33

22Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." NIV

Jesus,
Truly you are the Son of God. I bow down and worship you in the beauty of your holiness. You have revealed your glory to me during the storms of life. Waves of pain, fear, and suffering have buffeted me. The wind of sin and affliction has violently tossed me around and threatened to throw me into the wicked sea of unrighteousness. I was terrified. When suddenly you appeared and told me to, "Come." You gave me courage to lay aside my fear and step out of the boat. Thank you Jesus. By faith, I was able to exercise the power to walk on water with my eyes steadfastly fixed on you.


Then I realized the wind was still blowing and the storm hadn’t dissipated. What was I doing walking on water? I looked away in sudden fear and began to drown in the pitiful sea. Forgive me Jesus for taking my eyes off you. I’ve doubted the power even though I’ve experienced it before. You graciously reached out your hand and rescued me despite my wavering faith. Thank you Jesus.

Lord, you know my difficult situations. You know the challenging circumstances I face and the sin to which I am most prone. You know my aching heart. You know my every need. Come to me Jesus! Rescue me! Increase my faith through the storms of life. When the wind is blowing and the waves are pounding in my heart give me more of your power to focus on Jesus, the One and Only, author and perfector of my faith. It’s through your powerful name I pray. Amen.

Is a storm surrounding you? Do you feel the wind blowing and the waves slapping? Do you feel like you’re going to be swallowed by the sea? Cry out to Jesus and listen as he says, "Take courage. Do not be afraid. Come." Will you risk stepping out of the boat or remain in the boat gripped with fear? I encourage you to fix your eyes on Jesus and step out of the boat. With your eyes fixed on him, he will give you the power to walk on water too.

No comments: