Wednesday, April 06, 2005

John 13: 4-5, 12-17

4He got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." NIV


Jesus,
You are the model servant. You are the perfect Son of God, Teacher and Lord. You reign in power with full authority over heaven and earth. Yet you left your heavenly kingdom and became human to identify with me. You voluntarily laid aside your own rights and privileges out of love for your Father. Thank you for stooping down to wash filthy, dirty, feet in order to teach me how to humbly serve you. If you can take on the menial task of washing stinky, muddy feet then who am I to stand around, watch, and wait for someone else to do the dirty work? Humble my heart today. Fill me with a willing spirit and give me power to get up and go do whatever needs done for your glory. Make me a servant, humble and meek. Lord, let me lift up those who are weak, and, may the prayer of my heart always be "make me a servant today."

Give me power to …

  • Concentrate on the work you’ve called me to do and not what others are doing
  • Based my identity in Christ and not seek the approval of man
  • Think like a servant and not a master
  • See my ministry as an opportunity and not an obligation
Father, I want to be more like Jesus. Open the eyes of my heart and show me who I can serve today. I will obey because I love you and anticipate the reward you will some day give me because of Jesus. Amen

Who can you stoop down and serve today?

No comments: