Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My Testimony

Luke tells a story in Chapter 5 of his book: One day as Jesus was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. And, the power of the Lord was present to heal the sick. Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus. When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven."

In 1979, I was an unnoticed, undesirable, and unpopular crippled girl.
That’s when I ended up in my high school guidance counselor’s office, completely broken, crying my heart out because I was an ugly, hurting outcast. He listened with a heart of compassion and told me that God doesn’t make trash. Then he carried me to Jesus where I was miraculously healed.

For many years, I walked with a limp because I wasn’t walking with God. I was pursuing power, prestige, and possessions trying to live a life of perfection, pleasing people. I was arrogant, conceited and proud.

After I had two children and was exhausted from trying to please people, I gave up my career to work from home. I began longing for "something" more. Not sure what I was seeking, I started talking to God.

In 1998, I was finally obedient to God, baptized as a believer, and joined the church. As I was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended on me in a new and fresh way. I was healed of my limp and began to grow in faith.

20 years after accepting the gift of salvation, I began participating in Bible studies. Before this, I had never opened my Bible except on Sunday morning at church. God led me to Henry Blackaby’s Experiencing God. There I developed the discipline of being in God’s Word every day. As I studied God’s Word and came to know him personally, I began experiencing him in amazing ways! Since then, I have been in God’s Word every day seeking a deeper and more intimate relationship with Jesus. He’s the King of my heart, Lord of my life and my best Friend.

I was burning a Holy Spirit flame after being in God’s Word continuously for almost three years when He nudged me to step out and facilitate a women’s Bible study. This was way outside my comfort zone, but I heard Him call me to "Come". Obediently, I stepped out of the boat, and like Peter began walking on water. Week by week, God increased my confidence as I trusted and obeyed him.

A year later, God again called me to step out of the boat. This time to coordinate a prayer group at work to pray for our workplace and co-workers. Praying aloud with others was awkward and uncomfortable for me. I had never done it. Again, the Holy Spirit enabled me. I practiced and developed the discipline of prayer. I studied intercessory prayer and fasting on my own. The Holy Spirit taught me how to pray scripture. Again, I experienced God in a richer way.

In December 2003, God laid it on my heart to find the friend who carried me to Jesus. I had no idea if he was still in the area, walking with the Lord, dead or alive. My first attempts to locate him via email failed.

In the fall of 2004, my church held two weeks of revival services. We were encouraged to confront our past sins and seek forgiveness. I had nothing to confront since I regularly confess my sins, but God laid it on my heart to find my spiritual dad and thank him for the incredible gift of my salvation. If he hadn’t carried me to Jesus that day, I might still be crippled, living a pitiful life of shame. Obediently, I sent my three-page testimony to all the individuals w/ his name listed in the phone book with a note on the top: "This letter is intended for the former guidance counselor. If you are not that person and choose to read on, may God richly bless you." To protect my identity, I kept all personal information out of the letter and gave only my email address.

A few days later, I received a reply that melted my heart! A spiritual father and daughter were re-connected after 25 years! We spoke on the telephone a few days later and I discovered that he was persecuted for sharing his faith with students at that school. He eventually lost his job. You cannot imagine the overwhelming emotions that flooded from my heart as I realized that God had used me in a powerful way to reveal His glory. It truly was a mountaintop experience.

Because of a single act of obedience, God has richly blessed our lives. He’s connected two families and two churches. He is expanding my ministries beyond my expectations and dreams. I now have a strong spiritual dad standing in the gap with me, encouraging me to continue stepping out in faith. He gives me godly guidance, wisdom, and counsel. I hear God calling me loud and clear to teach, write, and lead women’s ministries. God has used my spiritual dad to connect me with godly women who are now mentoring me in those areas. I don’t know what the future holds, but I will stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and I will walk in it. There I will find rest for my soul. (Jer 6:16)

In my heart I am dancing, leaping, and praising God for the remarkable things He has done in my life. This is not my story but His story and all glory goes to Him, the Author and perfector of my faith.

No comments: