Monday, April 04, 2005

Hebrews 12: 1-4

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

4In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. NIV

Father in Heaven-
Thank you for your amazing History book. I love reading it and learning about the wonderfully intriguing heroes of faith. They are a great cloud of witnesses that surround me: Abel, Enoch, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, Rahab … I do not have time to list them all. They were tortured, faced jeers and flogging, were chained and put in prison. They were stoned and sawed in two, and put to death by the sword. They were persecuted and mistreated. And, they were applauded for their faith even though none of them had received what they were promised in their lifetime on earth. Thank you for preserving ancient History so that I can look back and see that you are true to your promises. You are believable and trustworthy.


Father; help me to identify the sin to which I am most prone so that it will not hinder my relationship with you. I want to run the race for Christ with patience and endurance. Please give me a strong and healthy heart full of the Holy Spirit to overcome the things that zap my motivation and cause defeat. By your grace when I am tired and weary from running, I will focus on Jesus and his suffering. I will steadfastly look at Him for strength and energy. What are my little trials compared to the agony he endured? Help me to see my afflictions as Divine discipline by you, my gracious and loving Father, for my spiritual growth.


Many have already made it through life enduring hardships and circumstances that are far more difficult than mine. Let me view these experiences as a training ground for maturity to develop my patience, perfect my faith, and make the final victory sweet. Lord, with the Holy Spirit in my heart, I will fix my eyes on Jesus today and run the race for the joy of my salvation for your namesake. Amen.


What difficulties are you facing today? Is Jesus your focus or the circumstance your focus? Fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith.

No comments: