Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A Tribute to My Dad for the Glory of God

Following is the testimony my family shared at dad's memorial celebration on Tuesday evening 06/28/05:

Jon: A couple of years ago pap was almost in the same state he is in now. I remember coming in everyday to see pap. He was so sick it was hard to watch. Every night I’d come home and pray for pap during that stressful time. I always had hope that pap would make it through all right even when it didn’t look like he was going to make it. I believed that God would provide pap with a couple more years to live. God did provide pap with a couple more years and I’m so glad he did even if we just spent time watching tv and talking at pap and nanny’s house. Pap provided me with good memories. When I was five we went canoeing and I dropped my favorite rubber snake in the lake. Bird sighting was always fun with pap we’d always go down to the river to look for birds. Pap was a good grandfather. I will always remember him for the fun person he was. He is in a better place now and I loved him and I’m sure that everyone here today loved him too.

Me: Jesus said, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Five years ago, when Jon was just 10 years old, he prayed for his pap. He believed God would give his pap a couple more years. God faithfully answered the prayer of a child who believed and we have witnessed a miracle.

When dad was sick this time, we took shifts at his bedside. I typically took the evening shift. It came with the privilege of tucking dad in for the night. I would read him a Bible story, pray with him, pull up his blanket, kiss him good night, turn off the light and leave.

One night I asked dad if he had a favorite story or verse he wanted me to read. He did not. Then I asked if he had a favorite book. He replied 1 John. I opened my Bible and thumbed through 1 John looking for an appropriate Scripture to read him. God took me to 1 John 3.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! We are children of God!

I stopped reading and thanked dad for the love he lavished on us. Because of his love, loyalty, faithfulness, compassion, patience, and goodness it is easy for me to see God as a loving Father. I couldn’t have asked for a better dad.

We continued reading: This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our family … let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth.

Again, I stopped reading and thanked dad for all the sacrifices he made for us. Growing up he rarely said that he loved us, but he showed us how much he loved us by his actions:


  • He was a devoted father who loved us unconditionally – like our heavenly Father.
  • In our rebellion and selfishness, we caused him pain, but he demonstrated forgiveness.
  • He was slow to anger and abounding in love. He exhibited merciful patience, just like God, our Father.
  • He was steadfast and dependable. We knew he would come home at the end of the day and, we knew we could trust him to provide for us always. We lacked for nothing, just like the children of God.
  • He was our protector. There was always safety within our home.
  • He loved and cherished my mom, setting an example of biblical love and passing it on to us as a gift to enrich our marriages.
  • He trained us to do good, make the right choices, and always be honest.
  • He encouraged us to be wise and make the most of every opportunity.
  • He showed us that there was a time to work and a time to play, instilling a good work ethic in us.
  • Dad told us to laugh in spite of ourselves. There was always a twinkle in his eye and orneriness in his heart. As we sat on his deathbed, there was plenty of laughter! Sometimes we laughed at his confused state. One time when he asked why we were laughing, I asked him, "Would you rather we laugh with you or cry with you?" He smiled and said, "laugh!" He gave us the gift of laughter.
  • He unwrapped the gift of hospitality for me. At our home, there was always a party. At my home there is always a party! And, where there is a party, there is laughter and good, clean fun. I am certain there is a party going on in heaven, our Father’s house right now.

Dad did not love us with words, but in action and in truth.

Nic: My pap was generous. He always provided us with Coke, Twizzlers and bubble gum.

Craig: How great our Father’s love for us, and so was Jerry’s love. He loved unconditionally, accepting me in to the family, and never saying no, when I asked for his assistance. He was unselfish, as he lay dying; he said a prayer for everyone in the family. You had to love the man and his faith.


We concluded our reading with these words from 1 John: And this is God’s command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. Those who obey his commands will live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us. We know it by the Spirit he gave us.


I am sure dad is proud and at peace knowing that every one of his children and grandchildren, has chosen to follow in his footsteps and walk the pathway of righteousness by following Jesus. God has blessed our family because of dad’s faith and obedience. Heaven is the inheritance for God’s children. Dad has received his inheritance, and gone ahead of us to heaven, our Father’s house. We will be reunited there some day because friends are friends forever when the Lord’s the Lord of them.


If you want to be a forever friend, joining dad in heaven our Father’s house where there will be one big party with lots and lots of laughter, I encourage you to listen to God’s command and believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ. It’s as easy as praying the simple prayer we found in dad’s Bible: Lord, Jesus, I admit that I am weaker and more sinful than I ever before believed, but through you I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope. I thank you for paying my debt, bearing my punishment on the cross, and offering forgiveness and new life. Knowing that you have been raised from the dead, I turn from my sins and receive you as Savior and Lord. I am certain dad would want you to join him some day in heaven, our Father’s house.


As I stood there looking at my dear dad for one last time, the undertaker asked if I'd like to pull the blanket up. God blessed me with one final tuck in! I pulled the blanket up to his chin as I did so many nights, told him I loved him, and kissed him good-bye.

No comments: