Thursday, June 02, 2005

Proverbs 15: 13

A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day. MSG

Proverbs 17: 22A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength. NLT

Father in Heaven-
I praise You for Your incredible ancient wisdom.
A casual glance at the world, with its wars, hatred, violence and evil makes me sad. Every day I see and hear horrible accounts of hurting people who hurt others. It grieves me that so many people in my community are living in darkness. Yet, in the midst of sin and suffering, there are stories and images that provoke a chuckle and a smile, leading me to believe that You have a twinkle in Your eye and a keen sense of humor.

I praise You for the incredible gifts of laughter and cheer. A merry heart is a means by which You bring healing and wholeness to that which would otherwise be dried up and without beauty or vitality. You know I need a good dose of cheer in these dark days to bring a smile to my face. A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down to cure my crushed spirit and broken heart.
Please dear Lord, help me to unwrap the joy of my salvation. I do not have to live in the pit of despair. When You sent Your Son to die for me, my glum days turned to glad days. With my heart, soul and mind focused on the future, I will always be ready to greet others with a warm welcome and word of encouragement. Please give me an enthusiastic spirit to accomplish the things You need done in this world. Make me a bubbling fountain of laughter where people can come, drink and be healed for Your namesake. Amen.


Who can you offer a spoonful of sugar today?

No comments: