Monday, July 17, 2006

Light in the World

1 John 1:5-7
5This is the message he has given us to announce to you: God is light and there is no darkness in him at all. 6So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness. We are not living in the truth. 7But if we are living in the light of God's presence, just as Christ is, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from every sin. NLT

Light of the World,
You stepped out into darkness opening my eyes so that I could clearly see the way to everlasting happiness. Thank You for shining Your brilliant light into the darkness of my heart enabling me to see myself as I really am – a sinner, in need of grace. I admire You for leaving Your cozy, comfortable home in heaven to step out into a cold, dark world to rescue me. Because You made Your home in my heart the Light is always on. Darkness has disappeared and I never have to stumble again. Thank You, Jesus!


I’m delighted that Your Word shows me how to live contentedly with others. First, I need to love You deeply and spend much time alone with You. Then, when I’m with my Christian brothers and sisters I’ll:
  • Love them unconditionally even when they’re mean-spirited and ill-mannered
  • Be patient with them, tolerating and accepting our differences
  • Be kind, generously giving of my time, talent and treasure to help those less fortunate
  • Be satisfied with what I have and not be resentful of the successes, possessions or character qualities of others
  • Speak humbly about my achievements giving all the credit to You for the things You’ve accomplished through me
  • Be courteous and considerate, listening attentively to others even when what they’re saying is uninteresting
  • Set aside my selfish desires in order to appease others
  • Be cool, calm and self-controlled, not easily losing my temper
  • Do everything possible to maintain peace, conceding rather than arguing over disputable matters that are neither right nor wrong
  • Celebrate with those who are happy and cry with those who are sad
  • Go the extra mile to protect the reputation and well-being of my siblings
  • Trust others to help me with my troubles and temptations
  • Persevere with others through extreme challenges, offering them encouragement and comfort

Dear Lord, purify my heart with Your blood and let me walk in the Light of Your presence where I’ll experience a cherished friendship with You and a rich, satisfying life with other believers enjoying "koinonia" – the happy fellowship You intend for Your family because of Jesus. Amen.


What do your actions show about your love relationship with Jesus? Can others clearly see that you love God by the way you treat others? Turn on the Light and examine yourself today. Ask God to shine His Word on Your heart and point out the areas where you need improvement in order to enjoy friendship with Him and fellowship with others.


"Koinonia" is an intimate relationship with God that results in intimacy with other believers. It’s not optional! To be "in Christ" and be a member of His body requires fellowship with the Living Christ. Friendship with God is the most cherished privilege of the child of God.

No comments: