Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The King's Friend

Proverbs 22:11
He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the King for his friend.

Jesus,
You are my King and Beloved Friend! A pure heart is what I seek! As I read Your Word, speak to me softly showing me how to stay wholesome. Teach me Your rules for clean-heart living. I’ll recite them and rejoice in them more than riches. Reflecting on every morsel of wisdom from You, I’ll relish everything You tell me about life in order to resist doing wrong. I’ll give You my fullest respect by being submissive. Please write Your Words on my heart, O Lord, so that I can live decently as Your cherished friend.

Anoint my lips with grace so that the words that flow from them will bring dignity and honor to You. I want to speak softly and tenderly proclaiming truth, humility and righteousness. Tame my tongue to talk pleasantly and peacefully. I only want to express things that are good and helpful to build others up and bless them. With love and forgiveness on my lips, I will praise You, my King.

O King of my heart, I know that You love what is good and hate what is wrong. Create in me a clean heart. Give me a gracious tongue. Your throne endures forever and I want to be known as Your forever friend because of Jesus. Amen.

Do you have a pure heart and gracious speech? Jesus says, “For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.” What are you putting into your heart?

This verse made me think of a little childhood tune …
O be careful little ears what you hear
O be careful little ears what you hear
For the Father up above is looking down in love
So be careful little ears what you hear.

O be careful little eyes what you see
O be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
So be careful little eyes what you see.

O be careful little tongue what you say
O be careful little tongue what you say
For the Father up above is looking down in love
So be careful little tongue what you say.

O be careful, dear reader, what you hear, see and say! Fill your ears and eyes with things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy then what comes out of your mouth will please the King.

To learn how to have a pure heart, I suggest reading Psalm 119:9-15.
To learn how to have gracious speech, I suggest reading Ephesians 4:17-32.

No comments: