Monday, September 26, 2005

John 15:12-16

Jesus said, "12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last."

Jesus,
I am delighted that You have asked me to be Your friend. What a privilege! Yes, of course I will be! You laid down Your life for Your friends – those who have a personal relationship with You and know You intimately. I’m glad that You didn’t lay down Your life for Your followers, brothers, or disciples. You intentionally laid it down for me. I can’t comprehend the depth of Your sacrifice, but know that in return You desire a deep friendship with me. It’s the least I can give You!

A servant doesn’t know his master intimately. He doesn’t know his master’s business. His only focus is on getting the job done for the approval of the boss. A friend is given preferential treatment and doesn’t need to seek approval because he already has it. A friend has the inside scoop. Thank You for choosing me to be Your friend. It is an honor!

May Your great sacrifice compel me to passionately pursue this friendship. May it be my priority and preoccupation to love You and love others as You have commanded because of our relationship. Please show me who I can be a friend to today for Your namesake. Amen.

Do you know Jesus as your friend? Are you passionately pursuing a relationship with Him? If not, tell Him you long to know Him more. Then make it a priority and your lifelong passion to pursue Him.

No comments: