Monday, September 19, 2005

Genesis 16

1 Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, "The LORD has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her." Abram agreed to what Sarai said … 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived. When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress …
6 Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.
7 The angel of the LORD found Hagar near a spring in the desert … 8 And he said, "Hagar, servant of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?" "I'm running away from my mistress Sarai," she answered.
9 Then the angel of the LORD told her, "Go back to your mistress and submit to her." 10 The angel added, "I will so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count" …
13 She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." (El Roi)

My Father in Heaven,
Most High God who rules the universe, You are a God who sees everything! I praise Your glorious name, El Roi because You see even me!


Your Highness, forgive me for all the times I have been like Sarai and taken matters into my own hands. You have a plan for me, just as You had a plan for her. You promise to bless me, protect me, and give me a bright future. Yet, I have trouble believing You! I have my own dreams, hopes and desires. Your plans for me that always prevail. Forgive me for interfering. I’m sorry for all the people I’ve mistreated in trying to receive Your promised blessing on my own. I have failed the test of time by running ahead of You. I am embarrassed and humbly ask You to keep me from evil and deliver me from temptation so that I will not cause others pain.

My Fair King, I have run away from my problems like Hagar. I am afraid of those who have hurt me. I can’t go back and face them. It’s too dangerous. I am a coward. Please breathe Holy Spirit power on me today so that I can stand firm and face my adversaries. You are a great big God who sees me and knows exactly who has perpetrated me. You know what’s happened. Now give me the courage to go back and look the bully right in the face.

When I am fully armored, under Your protection, I believe that You will work all things for good because I am Your beloved child who loves, cherishes and honors You. I believe You are God Most High, my Father, Fairest Ruler of the Universe, who is in control of everything. I believe You are watching over me, empowering me in the name of Jesus. Amen

Are you impatiently trying to get God’s promised blessing on your own? Who have you mistreated in the process? Stop, seek forgiveness from the ones you hurt, and wait for God.

What problem are you running from? Are your problems too big for God? Go back and face them. He will empower you.

No comments: