Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Matthew 6: 19-21

Jesus commanded: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Jesus, You are my most valuable Treasure. You are more precious than silver; more costly than gold; more beautiful than diamonds. Nothing I desire compares to You. I rejoice in the richness of my salvation!

Forgive me God for making my pleasures treasures. Forgive me for all things I’ve accumulated that have absolutely no eternal value. Thank you for providing exceedingly, abundantly more than I need. Forgive me for confusing wants with needs. All I need is food and clothes and shelter. You’ve provided so much more! You’ve provided me with a warm and cozy home full of earthly treasures that have no lasting value. You’ve provided me with an overabundance of food as evidenced by my physique. You’ve provided me an extravagant wardrobe that I wash, wear and waste. Forgive me God for overindulging when others are: just looking for a simple roof over their head to protect them; begging for a mere morsel to eat; and wearing my worn out wardrobe.

Lord, I pray that your love would touch my wallet. Help me to love and value people more than possessions. I want to love your work more than money and freely share what I have with others. Make me rich in deeds. Please Lord, make me a cheerful giver of my time, talent, and treasure. Lord, my heart and all that I have belong to You. Please use my assets for your glory. Show me who I can share my wealth with today.

O God, I beg one favor from you; give me neither poverty nor riches. Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" And if I am too poor, I may steal and insult Your holy name. (Prov. 30: 8-9) I ask these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.

How can you use your time, talent and treasure to serve God by serving others?

No comments: