Monday, May 16, 2005

Exodus 20: 8-11

8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. NIV

Isa 58: 13-14
13"Keep the Sabbath day holy. Don't pursue your own interests on that day, but enjoy the Sabbath and speak of it with delight as the LORD's holy day. Honor the LORD in everything you do, and don't follow your own desires or talk idly. If you do this, 14the LORD will be your delight. I will give you great honor and give you your full share of the inheritance I promised to Jacob, your ancestor. I, the LORD, have spoken!" NLT

Holy & Awesome God-
Your statutes are wonderful and I long to obey them. I am thankful that You command me to be still, rest, and worship You, my Maker, one day a week. You are the awe-inspiring Creator of everything. Your good work was finished in six days, and on the seventh day You rested. The problem is my work never seems be finished. I keep going and going and going, until all of my energy is spent and there’s nothing left for You. If You, the unlimited source of energy and power, needed a day to rest, how much more do I need such a day?

I love You, Lord. Turn to me and have mercy on me, as You always do to those who love Your name. Direct my footsteps according to Your Word. Please give me more Holy Spirit power and more love and respect for Jesus so that I will not break the law You set for my own good. With more grace, my weary soul will delight in a day of rest. You know I need it! As I honor and worship You, the One and Only Living God, revive my heart. Re-energize my spirit. Renew my strength. Then I will find joy in the beauty of Your presence.

Thank You for unfolding Your Words to my heart. It sheds light and gives understanding to Your simple command. Redeem me, O God, so that I will obey and Your face will shine upon me for Your name sake. Amen.

Remember God’s command and obey. It’s not optional.

No comments: