Monday, May 08, 2006

Make a Friend, Be a Friend

Romans 16:1-23 Paul’s Personal Greetings.
I’m not going to print the list of Paul’s family, friends and co-workers. I encourage you to look at it. You may have overlooked it as a long list of unfamiliar, unimportant names. Upon close examination, I realized that Paul was summing up the legacies of his friends, one sentence at a time. God revealed to me through Paul’s list of family, friends, and co-workers the qualities I should look for in a friend, as well as, the kind of friend I should be.

Rabboni! My Great Teacher! You are incomparably wise. To my surprise, even in Paul’s warm personal greetings there’s an incredible unexpected lesson. From the commendations to his family, friends, and co-workers, I learn the quality and deeds I should look for in my own friendships.
  • Those who wholeheartedly serve the sick, poor, and lonely
  • Those who are willing to risk their lives for others
  • Those who open their homes to Christian fellowship and service
  • New believers and attendees at my church
  • Inexhaustible hard workers
  • Outstanding leaders, willing to go to jail for spreading the Gospel
  • Those who serve along side of me in ministry
  • Those who have suffered and past the test of faith
  • Those who nurture like a mother
  • Those who are obedient to You
  • Those whose homes radiate friendship, fellowship and love, welcoming strangers
  • Humble helpers who can keep me organized
  • Public officials
Please dear Lord, help me to make godly friends who will encourage me to grow stronger in faith. Help me to be a godly friend whose legacy of love and dedication will be long remembered. May I be known as someone with an open heart, open door, and open hand, commended for the praise of Your glory. Amen.

Someday people will sum you up in one sentence. What will that sentence be?

No comments: