Thursday, May 04, 2006

Disruptions, Delays and Detours

Romans 15: 25, 30
25Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the saints there. 30I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me.

Jesus,
Just as You knew what was waiting for You in Jerusalem: betrayal, rejection, suffering and ultimately death yet set Your face resolutely on the challenge and conquered it, so did Paul. Despite the possibility of peril, he persisted. Setting aside his ambitious dream of taking the Good News to Spain, he opted for the potentially difficult and dangerous detour to Jerusalem. Courageously, he accepted the unsafe assignment, urging his friends and family to pray for him. Covered in prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit, he conquered his fear of the hateful, hostile Sadducees. Humbly, he went anticipating antagonism. Serving His Master was more important than his personal safety and comfort. Willingly, he risked his life to fulfill Your mission in Jerusalem.


Likewise, there are times that You ask me to lay aside my hopes and plans to follow You. Forgive me for grumbling and complaining about disruptions, delays and detours. I’m sorry for all the excuses I make to avoid difficulty, distress and even death to self. Give me courage to gratefully say, "Yes, Lord" to every challenging task I’m assigned. Give me humility to ask for prayer. Covered in the warm prayers of others, I’ll be able to endure rejection, humiliation and execution to self. Fulfilling the mandatory mission for my Master will be more important to me than my personal comfort and protection. Willingly, I’ll risk my life to serve You.

O Lord, please fill me with more Holy Spirit power to be selfless and courageous like Paul. As I trust You, please keep Your mighty hand on me. Strengthen and empower me. Deliver me from evil and temptation along the way. I long to live in the fullness of Your blessing and will go where You send me in the name of Jesus. Amen.

What difficult assignment has the Master asked you to do? Are you making excuses to avoid it? If so, ask God to fill you with Holy Spirit power to be selfless and courageous like Paul.

God has given me a big assignment – to write the Prayer Pal daily as my witness to the world of what a relationship with Him can be and do in the life of a believer. He’s sending me on a mission to a Christian Writer’s Conference from May 18 – 20. Major publishers like Focus on the Family, Bethany House, and Harvest House will have representatives there, along with several literary agents.

While I don’t think this is a dangerous mission, it is way beyond my comfort zone. I humbly request your prayers as I prepare for this potentially huge leap forward for the Prayer Pal ministry. I will be proposing that they print the PP as devotional gift books, greeting cards, and brochures for prisons and hospitals. Pray that I will BELIEVE God has a plan bigger than I can imagine, that I will trust Him to set up the appropriate appointments, and that I will go with confidence that He will fulfill His great commission through me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,
Thanks for the encouraging words today.(Thurs.) I am going thru a very difficult time again and your words were what I needed Thanks
Lynn