Friday, May 19, 2006

Boarding the Ride

May 18, 2006 – 6:30 a.m.
Today would have been my dad’s 70th birthday! For those of you who don’t know, I lost my beloved dad on June 25, 2005 after a five year battle with cancer. O how I miss him!

Today is the first day of the Colorado Christian Writer’s Conference. I got up early this morning and went outside in the cool mountain air, sat by the rushing river and poured my heart out to God on paper.


O Great God of Peace~
Humbly I come to You this morning admitting my weakness and worry. I’m so nervous! Finally, it’s my turn to get on the exhilarating, exciting ride! My stomach is in knots! Many would turn back at this point. Not me! I’m Your risk taker. I understand that I need to go out of my comfort zone to conquer my fears. How long can it last? A couple of minutes or hours? No big deal in the scheme of life. Soon it will be over. What’s the worst that can happen to me? It’s unlikely I’ll die or be injured. You’ve built in safety mechanisms to protect Your riders. So, by faith, I’m stepping in the car, buckling up, and ready to go! My adrenaline is pumping! Let’s just get it over with!! I admit that I’m a coward, so I’m just closing my eyes and hanging on tight. Oops! I better keep my eyes open or I might miss something!!

Please dear God, who knows my heart and mind, fill me with Your perfect peace and lead me in the way everlasting. I’ll overcome my anxious thoughts by remembering how far You’ve brought me, safely and prosperously. You didn’t bring me this far to let me fall and fail.

So, from the thrilling amusement park ride to the surprise birthday party … O God, You know I don’t like surprises. Just tell me who’s coming to the party and what’s inside the presents. I hate not knowing. That too, makes me want to throw up! Just as I did with my bridal shower, 21 years ago, and my baby shower, 16 years ago, I’ll go with a smile on my face. I know the fellowship will be fantastic and the gifts great.

I don’t know a soul at this conference. I have no idea where I’m going. Will You please show me the way and send me new friends to bless my heart? I’m trusting in Your most faithful name, going in Your power, and Your glory. Amen! Amen! Amen!


Philippians 4: 6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 139: 23-24 Search me O God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.

Revelation 4: 11 You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory, and honor, and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.

You are worthy O Lord
to receive glory and honor and power
for you have created all things –
this beautiful rushing river in front of me
these majestic mountains surrounding me
every wonderful creature that lives in the woods and water ….
And by your will they were created and have their being. I praise You God from whom all blessings flow!
I join the angels, who are interceding for me, in praising You, Holy God to whom all praise is do! I stand in awe of You! Hallelujah, Amen.

No comments: