Saturday, February 25, 2006

Just Another Trip to Wal-Mart

My father-in-law passed away suddenly on Monday, February 20th. Following is the story my husband shared at his dad's funeral.

On Sunday my Heavenly Father gave me an incredible gift that I’ll cherish forever. It was a day with my dad. After church, I headed "home" to see my parents. Dad cut my hair one last time. Little did I know, it would be his last haircut ever. While I sat in the barber chair, he reflected about his good buddy who had just died before Christmas. He never quite got over his friend's death. He said to me, "You don’t know when you’re going to die."

We spent the afternoon watching the race. I called him that evening, for some unknown reason, to see if he was still watching the race.

On Monday, he got up. It was an ordinary day and he was going to take just another trip to Wal-Mart. He told my mom he’d back in a few minutes. Little did he know, it wasn’t just another trip to Wal-Mart, it was his last trip to Wal-Mart. He wouldn’t be coming home.

You know the greatest commandment Jesus ever gave was to love God and love others. (Matt 22:37-38)

One of the things that I’m learning in life, and have been challenged by in dad’s death is I need to do a better job of loving God and loving others. Dad’s sudden death has challenged me to be the best husband and dad I can be. I now realize how fragile life is. I need to make the most of every opportunity to show my family God’s love. I still have mom and I’m not going to miss the chance to love her.

I want to give you the same challenge. Don’t wait! You may not have tomorrow to tell your spouse how much you love them. You may not have tomorrow to hug your kids and tell them how special they are. You may not have tomorrow to do and say the things that really matter. Love others.

As dad said to me Sunday night, "You don’t know when you’re going to die."

Let me ask you two questions: If you die today, do you know for sure that you will be with God in heaven? If God were to ask you, "Why should I let you into my heaven?" What would you say?

If you don’t know for sure that you will be with God in heaven some day, I encourage you to talk with a pastor or visit the link on this blog to Becoming a Christian. If you can’t answer God, telling him why He should let you into His home, please seek. We would love to assure your entrance to heaven, our Father’s House.

You don’t know when just another trip to Wal-Mart, might be your last.

If you’d like to join me in this challenge to love God and love others, please leave a comment on this blog. We'll pray for you! Don’t Wait! Tomorrow may be too late.

2 comments:

ShepherdKing said...

hi, i shared a similar experience, a close fren passed away early this month. It was so sudden, the night before we were still contacting, then following day, his gone. I realised how precious life is.. and time is REALLY precious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story, it was so touching to me that I passed on your blog to my friends and family in an e-mail. I have recently watched my grandmother get sick and struggle, many times this month I thought she was leaving and going home to the Lord. It has been painful to watch my grandmother, my pilliar of strength be ill. So thank you for your story and God Bless you and yours!- April saffle