Monday, February 13, 2006

The Generous Gift of Forgiveness

Romans 5:15-16

15And what a difference between our sin and God's generous gift of forgiveness. For this one man, Adam, brought death to many through his sin. But this other man, Jesus Christ, brought forgiveness to many through God's bountiful gift. NLT

Luke 23: 33, 34 … they crucified him, along with the criminals. Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

My Faithful Father and Friend-

You are the giver of all good and perfect gifts! Thank You for the fabulous gift of forgiveness. It arrived when I was wondering aimlessly, staring death in the face, and hell was hard on my heels. I didn’t know which way to turn. Desperately, I cried out to You for help. In Your ceaseless compassion and mercy, You heard my prayer and answered, leading me to Your Son.

Laying down all the shattered pieces of my life, I knelt at the foot of the cross. There, Your precious Son shamefully hung in excruciating pain, exhausted, and asphyxiated. As the crimson blood and pure water dripped on me from His open wounds, He begged You to forgive those who drove the nails into his hands. Sadly, I was one of them! It was my sins that held Him there!

Let those Words, "Father, forgive them for they don’t know what they’re doing," penetrate the hollow of my heart and sink deep into my brain today. No matter what I’ve done in the past, I am completely forgiven. At the foot of the cross, You gently, meticulously and painstakingly picked up each devastated piece of my life and masterfully restored my lustrous allure.

Accepting this generous gift comes with a huge responsibility. If I take it, I must give it away. Because You bought it for me with Your bruised, battered, and broken body, You expect me to pardon people who have inflicted me with pain. No hurt I endure on earth can compare to the agony of Your death on the cross. Thank you, Father, for giving me Your Son to save me from my sin!

Since my sins have been forgiven in Your name, please empower me to pass the present of forgiveness to someone undeserving for the honor of Your glorious name! Amen.


Because I have accepted Your gift of forgiveness, I will forgive ______________________ for the glory of Your name. Fill in the blank and obey, for it is written: "if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." Matthew 6:14

No comments: