Monday, February 15, 2016

God Winked While I Worked: Pumps & Pearls

My 80-year old neighbor, Gladys, recently passed away. She had a very colorful personality. As a younger woman she lived a life of carousing. Married and divorced twice, she had six children to two different men; and loved many men who weren't her husband. She enjoyed dressing flamboyantly and lived to dance the night away at local clubs.

Since I am a bit of a fashionista, fun, and flamboyant myself, her daughters invited me to join them as they went through her wardrobe. Besides closets full of circa 1980's designer fashions, there were hundreds of shoes! Every style and color imaginable. The classic pumps captivated me because they were so pretty and feminine. Gold. Silver. Pink. Patent. Orange. Green. Teal. Blue. Brown. Red. All like new. Surely they could be used for something fun. I took a picture of them, and asked the girls to keep them for a few days until I came up with a plan.

The next day, I posted the above picture on Facebook with the following caption: My neighbor passed away at the age of 80. I was at her home yesterday going through her shoes. Here are just a few of the most colorful and fun ones. Wish I could think of something to do with them! Anyone need nice barely worn shoes for decorating, dress-up, or fun?

I never expected the outpouring of responses I received.

Less than an hour later my phone rang. The director of Le'Chic Academy in Columbia, MD was calling to invite me to present at a Mother/Daughter Fashion Show Fundraiser. We discussed the topic, but not the theme. Curious, about the organization, I googled Le'Chic Academy and discovered that the theme of the event was Pumps and Pearls.
God had just gave me a use for the pretty pumps! My presentation would have something to do with walking fearlessly and free. And, since the heart of my ministry is Displaying Christ, the Pearl of Greatest Price, I'd use the pearls to illustrate our resources of time, talent, and treasure.

Giddy with excitement, I immediately phoned the director to accept her offer and tell her about the shoes. As we talked, I discovered that she's a Christian too, and shared with her my passion for pearls. God winked while I worked by giving me a purpose for the pretty pumps, and an opportunity to talk about pearls.

This sweet little divine connection came about through a friend named Terri. I reached out to her for a networking lunch one day. While eating pasta at Maggiano's, I told her about a large speaking engagement I had coming up. Curious, she inquired about the topic. I replied that it was faith based. With tears in her eyes, she asked, "Are you a Christian? I relocated here from Michigan two years ago and have made no Christian friends. We haven't found a church we like." God winked and gave me a new friend; who in turn connected me with Le'Chic Academy.

Watching God open doors one at a time enabling me to do what I love - inspiring women and girls to be all that He's made them to be - invigorates me. I'm so incredibly grateful to Him, and to my boss, Paul, who enables, encourages, and pays me to use my time, talents and treasure to perform a job I love!

No comments: