Monday, February 15, 2016

God Winked While I Worked: Oh No! I Messed Up! Now what?

I had scheduled my boss, Paul, to speak for a local professional association. I carefully confirmed the details of the event. The topic. The objectives. The time. The date. The location.

One week prior to the affair I emailed the program director, Meg, to confirm the information: "We're looking forward to our presentation next Thursday at noon at the Uptown Restaurant. Will you please confirm?"

"It's not next Thursday," she replied, "it's the following week."

OH NO! I MESSED UP! My boss would be on vacation. Now what?

Being one to keep my commitments, I wasted no time thinking of solutions. We could possibly switch Paul and the February speaker. Or, I could do it.

I've spent years preparing to be a speaker. I've been trained through Toastmasters, and have spoken in front of much larger audiences. I'm passionate about communications. I could do it ... BUT I'M NOT PAUL! Paul is a beloved and well known speaker who has spent many years speaking and teaching all over the world. I pale in comparison.

Not wanting to let them stuck, I offered myself, trusting God to open or close the door.

Within an hour, I received an answer, "Beth, we would love to have you present the program! Look forward to seeing you soon!"

And then, "I agree! We would love to have Beth present for us."

Whew! Now I had my work cut out for me. In less than two weeks I needed to prepare a 60-minute presentation on the skill of listening. Previously, in an article I had written on listening, God had given me a great acrostic for LISTEN. That would be the backbone.

As I worked on the script, God took me back almost 40 years to my high school days when I served as a Peer Counselor. He reminded me of the listening training I had received, and showed me that He had started preparing me for this assignment long ago.

Then, He brought to my mind the long forgotten days when, as a young adult, I volunteered for a phone hotline. While most people have never been taught to truly listen, I had been blessed with outstanding instruction and practical experience. At that moment, I realized the priceless skill I have used every single day of my life, and had taken for granted. God had equipped me for this day. He winked and assured me I could walk forward with confidence, and teach others this crucial skill.

But, that wasn't the only God wink.

The day before my presentation I received an email from a friend in another sate. It said, "Hope you're having an amazing day. Tell me how are things beneath the surface? What's your hidden hurt?"

Hmmm... I had to think. I have no hurts. I see the world through rose colored glasses. But, then I thought, and thought some more; and I thought, "my hidden hurt? I'm lonely. Even though I'm married to the sweetest man on the face of the earth, have two young adults sons of whom I am proud, a bunch of really good friends, a fabulous support system, a job I love, great co-workers, a vast network of people ... I'm lonely. The nest is empty. I miss having kids coming and going from my home at all hours of the day and night. It's so quiet. So empty."

Having shared my hidden hurt with him, he replied, "I heard you. You miss your kids. I understand. Thanks for allowing me to listen."

God winked and gave me an illustration for the E in LISTEN - Empathy. Everyone we encounter is carrying baggage. We don't know what they're carrying, but, everyone has something. Loneliness is the baggage I carry. People would never notice it; in fact, I didn't even realize I was carrying it until someone took the time to ask, "What's lying beneath the surface?" Influential leaders take time to learn the underlying message and earn trust.

While I was preparing the presentation, the idea came to me to submit a speaking proposal for the topic to a large state professional association's annual conference. It was a long shot. They receive hundreds of applications from speakers far more experienced than me. In fact, I had submitted three proposals for my boss, Paul who is finishing his PhD in business psychology.

In response, I received an inquiry: "We are considering your proposal please submit proof of performance from two sources." I had none, and had not time to worry about it at that point. If God wanted me to speak, He'd open the door.

In the meantime, I carried on with the task in front of me.

The day of the mis-calendared event I left my house with plenty of time to spare expecting to arrive an hour in advance. Fifteen minutes from home, there was an accident on the highway. Sitting in standstill traffic, it was a distinct possibility that I may not make it. My GPS told me I'd be 23 minutes late.

I prayed, "Lord, You have brought me this far. If you want me to speak at this event, please get me there on time." Soon after that the traffic started moving. I arrived at my destination 10 minutes early.

I have never packed participant materials in baggies, EVER. BUT, the night before I sprung into Miss Perfect Picky Pants mode (a sassy name my son gave me long ago when I'd make him re-do his sloppy homework), and meticulously packed nine baggies with ten of each item, so that when I arrived I wouldn't have to count the items for each table. I could simply unpack the baggies. God knew about the traffic hiccup, and that I'd need to be extra organized, and He orchestrated the baggies.

Because I arrived 10 minutes before I had to speak and desperately need a potty break, my colleague met me a the car, carried the baggies into the meeting and put one on each table. He took my thumb drive containing the Power Point and gave it to the organizer.

I walked into the room and walked straight into my presentation without missing a beat! All my tools were there. I had two hours in the car to rehearse the presentation in my mind. I was ready to go ... on time ... not one minute early ... not one minute late! God's timing is impeccable.

My presentation was engaging, entertaining and energizing. Laughter and audience participation indicated that they were enjoying their time with me; I was certainly having fun with them talking about a topic I love: listening.

Two weeks later, I received an email from the large state professional association inviting me to speak at their annual conference with no written proof of performance. Someone who attended the mis-calendared event told them about my passionate performance. Needless to say, I was giddy beyond excitement and grateful beyond words to Him who has prepared, equipped and commissioned me, and to my boss Paul, who enables, encourages, and empowers me.

God winked while I worked, turning my mess into His masterpiece.

No comments: