Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Pursue Peace

1 Peter 3: 10-12
Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.
He must turn from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer.

Guide to the Good Life,
Thank You for clearly pointing me in the right direction. If I want to enjoy a good life and see many happy days, here’s what I need to do:

I must refrain from evil or hurtful language, and intentionally be agreeable, sympathetic, and loving. You want me to be perceptive, peaceful and polite, thinking of others more than myself. In Your realm, revenge and sharp-tongued sarcasm are never acceptable. You expect the ambassadors of Your kingdom to rise above the stabbing pain of criticism and cynicism, and bless those who inflict it by praying for them.

I must also turn my back on immorality and cultivate healthy, honest relationships. The Righteous Book of Rules, my Bible, will help me set good moral standards, and identify dangerous situations before I stumble into them. I will overcome obstacles by earnestly looking for them, immediately exposing them, and dealing with them in the light of Your love. Instead of grumbling about them, I will fervently pray for a peaceful resolution; then stand up, and sincerely speak the truth sensitively.

Please give me the tenacity to continually search for and maintain peaceful resolutions. For doing what’s right, You will reward me by turning Your ear toward me, listening and responding to my requests. I will be blessed with a life I love and many good days because I’ve carefully followed the Guide to the Good Life. Amen.


God promises you a life you’ll love and many good days, if you control your tongue, turn from immorality, do good deeds, and seek peace. For doing what’s right even when it feels wrong, He promises to reward you by listening and responding to your prayer requests.

On the other hand, if you choose not follow His Guide to the Good Life, and pursue selfish solutions, He will turn his face from you.

Would you rather that God turn His face toward you or away from you?

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. Hebrews12:14

No comments: