Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Misguided Ambition

Revelation 4:10-11
The twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:

"You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being."

My Creator King,
You alone are the King who reigns in power over the entire universe, and You alone are worthy to receive glory and honor and power because You created all things.

Why then, if I believe this, am I so contradictory? If You alone are worthy of ALL praise – and You are – why then do I pursue pleasing people for their praise? Why do I relish rewards and recognition? Why do I long to stand in the spotlight? And, why am I offended when others don’t give me credit for the work I’ve done? My heart is deceived, and my thoughts are distorted.

Thank You for opening my eyes to see how subtly Satan seduces me and steals my glorious golden life. He’d love nothing more than for me to be focused on the attention, applause and accolades of people. Oh, that all sounds so wonderfully harmless. Yet, it is a lie, straight from the pit of Hell. If I cash in on it, I cheat You, the Lamb of God, of the glory and honor and praise that rightfully belongs to You, hampering Your work in the process. Apart from You, I would not even exist. In the Throne Room in Glory, I will be compelled to cast down my crowns, and give You all the credit for anything good I’ve ever done.

Please, dear Lord, give me power to abandon all my misguided ambitions, and faith to believe that You are in control, and have a plan and purpose for me that’s vastly beyond my dreams, for the glory and praise of YOUR name, both now and forevermore. Amen.


Are you cashing in on the attention, applause and accolades of people, cheating God of the glory, honor, and praise that rightfully belongs to Him? Apart from Him, you wouldn’t even exist. He deserves complete credit for every good thing you’ve ever done.

Unreservedly abandon your misguided ambitions Him. His Word says, “He stoops down to make me great.” Psalm 18:35

No comments: