Friday, December 16, 2005

ALL I REALLY WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS IMMANUEL

Matthew 1:20-23
20An angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. "Joseph, son of David," the angel said, "do not be afraid to go ahead with your marriage to Mary. For the child within her has been conceived by the Holy Spirit. 21And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 22All of this happened to fulfill the Lord's message through his prophet:

23 "Look! The virgin will conceive a child!
She will give birth to a son,
and he will be called Immanuel
(meaning, God is with us)."

Holy Child of Bethlehem, You were sent down from our Father in heaven to be with me today. There is no gift more impressive than immortal, invincible Immanuel, Your beautiful baby boy born to be with me. He is the glorious gift of grace and treasure of truth.

You sent this lovely package to me when I was still Your enemy. I was hateful, fearful, and prideful when You knocked on the door of my heart. Inconvenienced and irritated by the interruption, I objectionably opened the door to find Your gentle hands reaching out to give me a valuable vessel of love. The glow of the gift You extended to me extinguished the anger, arrogance and apprehension. I couldn’t resist receiving it and inviting You in to be with me.
In the living room, I cautiously opened Your container by the flickering flame in my heart. By the heat of the hearth, I received each poignant promise You offered me. You promised to live with me and be my faithful, forever Friend. You showed me that You are greater and stronger than any one or any thing I have ever known. Trustworthy and dependable, You came to defend me. With You on my side, no one could be against me! Because You live with me, all fear is gone.

Immanuel, You are with me and You are all I really want this Christmas. Since You came down from above and breathed the air that I breath, experienced the pain that plagues me, and suffered the sorrow and sin that suppresses me, You can sympathize with me. You promise to hold me up by Your mighty hand. Because You live with me, I can triumphantly face tomorrow’s tough times and tragedies.

When the decorations are dismantled, and the daily difficulties of life resume, I must not forget the valuable vessel of love I received one Christmas in the blazing fire of my heart. Daily I must cling to Immanuel, celebrating my Mighty God who will be with me until the very end of the age for it’s through His glorious gift of grace that I live and pray. Amen.

If you have received the impressive gift of immortal, invincible Immanuel, celebrate that God is with you always! Because He is with you:


  • You can face suffering
  • You can face devastating loss
  • You can face a broken heart
  • You can face financial difficulties
  • You can face legal challenges
  • You can face persecution
  • You can face betrayal
  • You can face your cross

Matthew 28:20
Jesus said, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."


Revelations 21:3
I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God."

No comments: