Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Matthew 26: 31, 33, 35

Matthew 26: 31, 33, 35

Then Jesus told them,"This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
   " 'I will strike the shepherd,
      and the sheep of the flock will be scattered."

Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."

Then, Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.

Hours later the self-confident Peter disowns Jesus. (Matthew 26:69-75

Dear Jesus,
I'm dreadfully like Peter! I too have spent many intimate moments with You. Over the years, I've sat, sipped and supped with You, enjoying the rich blessing of Your friendship. In the classroom of my heart, You taught me Your precepts, promises and purposes so that I could do Your work in this world.

Yet, when challenged by angry, arrogant hate mongers, I'm prone to stand around and watch while politically-correct people insult, mock, and abuse You. Worried about my reputation, I tend to stay at a distance hoping no one will notice my relationship with You. Tantalized by pride, like Your flock of beloved disciples, I deny or desert You to save my name.

Please give me the courage to stand up for You during threatening situations. Break down the stronghold of pride on my mind. Take my wandering thoughts captive and bring them back to You. With my mind under Your control, my heart will be protected. Instead of impulsively reacting to peer pressure, I'll conscientiously stand up to defend You, bringing glory and honor and praise to You, my lifelong teacher and friend. Amen.

Might we be guilty, like Peter, of trying to follow Christ, but with cowardice? Are you ashamed to be seen carrying a Bible? Ashamed to be seen praying in public? Ashamed to be seen with other Christians? Have you denied Your Lord for fear of ridicule or rejection? If so, admit it with deep heartfelt sorrow, repent, learn from Peter, and follow Jesus no matter the cost.

Christ can use those who recognize their failures. From this humiliating experience Peter learned important lessons that would later help him when he assumed leadership of the church.

No comments: