Thursday, August 10, 2006

Loving Magnificently

1 John 3:16-23
16We know what real love is because Christ gave up His life for us. And so we also ought to give up our lives for our Christian brothers and sisters. 17But if anyone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need and refuses to help--how can God's love be in that person?
18Dear children, let us stop just saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions. 19It is by our actions that we know we are living in the truth, so we will be confident when we stand before the Lord, 20even if our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.
21Dear friends, if our conscience is clear, we can come to God with bold confidence. 22And we will receive whatever we request because we obey Him and do the things that please Him. 23And this is His commandment: We must believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us. NLT

Dearest Father in Heaven-
Your divine love is incredibly amazing! That You would leave Your beautiful, majestic, celestial home in heaven to come to this wretched, ugly, hell-hole on earth to rescue detestable, antagonistic humans is unfathomable. I might die for someone really special, like my spouse or my child, but I’d never die for someone who despises me. Yet that’s exactly what You did for me. While I was Your vilest offender, You intentionally died for me.


In light of the high price You paid to secure my freedom, I ought not think twice about giving up my comfortable lifestyle for unpleasant, unattractive, and despicable people. I believe You put arrogant, obnoxious, mean-spirited individuals in my life to teach me to love Your way. Remind me daily of my own idiosyncrasies. I don’t like to admit it, but You know I’m far from perfect. Instead of uttering idle, meaningless chatter, help me to actively, consistently, deeply love nasty, unlikable people the way You love me. Recognizing my own unworthiness, will be my first step toward tolerating and showing mercy to them.


Practicing extravagant love will clear my conscience and purify my heart. Then, I can worshipfully, penitently, and joyfully come to You with confident expectation that You will hear my problems, doubts, fears, and needs. Rejoicing in my childlike faith that believes in the name of Jesus, Your Son, You will reward my obedience by responding to my urgent requests.

Please dear Lord, fill me with so much of Your magnificent love and mighty power that my vibrant faith will be contagious, proving to the watching world that I am Your beloved child. Because I long to make You happy, I’ll try my best to obey You by loving others in the name of Jesus. Amen.


How can you show the selfless love of Christ to an unlovable person today? It’s not easy and it’s not optional. It’s a command from the High King of Heaven who has paid a high price for you. It’s the least you can do to honor and glorify Him.

Jesus didn’t come to rescue good people, he came to save sinners. He expects us to love them too; after all, we’re amongst the throng!

No comments: