Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Extravagent Love

Luke 7:36-50
36 One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to come to his home for a meal, so Jesus accepted the invitation and sat down to eat. 37 A certain immoral woman heard he was there and brought a beautiful jar filled with expensive perfume. 38 Then she knelt behind him at his feet, weeping. Her tears fell on his feet, and she wiped them off with her hair. Then she kept kissing his feet and putting perfume on them.

Jesus said, "47I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love." 48 Then Jesus said to the woman, "Your sins are forgiven."

50 And Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Precious Lord,
You are King of my heart and Lord of my life. I seek You with all that is within me! Willingly, I risk ridicule and rejection from my family and friends who can’t see beyond my reputation. I’m not worthy to come into Your pure, perfect presence. My past is embarrassing, but I humbly come looking for Your promised mercy and grace. O Lord, my God, I admit that I have done many wrong things. Even my best attempts to make right choices and do good works fall far short of Your high standard. Like this dear woman, I bow down at Your feet.

Confessing my mistakes, I pour out my broken heart, on You. My fresh tears of remorse fall like rain on Your feet as I weep over my shameful life. My behavior has offended You. I’m sorry, Lord, have mercy on me! I need You, Jesus, to change me and pardon me from my past!

I love You and want to be in right relationship with You. I want You to sit on the throne of my heart and reign over my life. Because of Your unending love and ceaseless compassion, I’ll give my life to You as priceless perfume. My praise and adoration will be a sweet and fragrant offering, when I bow down to touch other immoral outcasts with mercy and grace. I’ll kiss Your feet every time I show kindness to those who offend me. Reviving and restoring broken hearts will be my expression of gratitude. Please show me someone who is friendless or fallen and I’ll gladly risk ridicule and rejection to restore their reputation for the glory of Your name. Amen.

Jesus has rescued all of His followers whether they’re extremely wicked or exceptionally good, from death and destruction. There is no sin He won’t forgive, if we humbly come to Him and admit our mistakes. Do you need to seek His forgiveness? If so, I urge you to go promptly to Him. Fall at His feet. Accept responsibility for your actions. He is faithful and just, promising to forgive your sins and heal your hurts, no matter how bad or how deep.

Do you appreciate the depth of His mercy? Are you grateful for His forgiveness? If so, how will you offer yourself extravagantly to Him?

No comments: