Monday, August 07, 2006

Bending Your Knee

John 13: 4-5, 12-17
4He got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."


Jesus, Humble Servant,
You are the perfect Teacher and Lord. You reign in power with full authority over heaven and earth. Yet willingly, You left Your heavenly kingdom, becoming human to identify with me. Out of love for Your Father, You voluntarily laid aside Your own rights and privileges. Stooping down to wash filthy, dirty feet, You taught me how to serve others meekly. If You, High King of Heaven, can take on the menial task of cleaning stinky, muddy feet then who am I to stand around, watching and waiting for someone else to do the dirty work?


Make me a servant, humble and meek. Lord, let me lift up those who are weak, and, may the prayer of my heart always be "make me a servant today."

Please give me a willing spirit and power to …
  • Concentrate on the work You’ve called me to do and not what others are doing
  • Base my identity in You and not seek the approval of man
  • Think like a servant and not a master
  • See my ministry as an opportunity and not an obligation

Father, I want to be more like Jesus. Open the eyes of my heart and show me who I can bend down to serve today in Your name. I will obey because I love You and anticipate the prosperous reward You will give me because of Jesus. Amen

Who can you stoop down and serve today?

Reflect on the words to this catchy little chorus. If you know the tune, make it the song of your heart today!

Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up those who are weak
And, may the prayer of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today.
© 1982 Maranatha! Music Words and Music by Kelly Willard

No comments: