Monday, March 13, 2006

Preoccupied by God

Revelation 1: 9-13
9I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."
12I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man,"

Most Holy, Majestic King,
Thank You for a fresh vision of Your glory! Like John, I too suffer in solitude. Reading about his sweet, submissive spirit in seclusion strengthens my faith.


Cut off from his hopes, dreams, and plans for the future, he surrendered himself to You in worship. Then, You spoke to him in a loud voice. Not only did he hear Your voice, but He turned around and saw you too. You will do the same to me. When I open my Bible and read with the expectation, You’ll speak. If I’m willing to stop what I’m doing and turn around, I’ll see and know the person behind the Words.

Focusing on Your wonderful face, I’ll have a fresh vision of who You are. Looking beyond myself, gazing on your beauty, I’ll see a holy, majestic, and wise King. My problems will grow strangely dim in the light of Your glory and grace.

Please dear Lord, let me be so preoccupied with your voice and your splendor that I won’t have time to think about my suffering and solitude. Give me patient endurance to take my eyes off myself and my difficult circumstances so that I can grow in my knowledge and personal relationship with You. I want to know You more, in my suffering, Jesus! Amen.

I was so preoccupied looking at Jesus during my dad’s sickness and suffering, that like John, I was able to write beautiful Prayer Pals proclaiming God’s glorious grace. I saw the Lord!

What are you doing in the midst of your suffering and solitude? When you open your Bible God opens His mouth. If you turn around, change directions, and look up, you’ll see the voice behind the Words. How is He asking you to respond to your circumstances? A response can be a story, a painting, a song, or whatever He puts in your heart! Just focus on him and express yourself. Then, your troubles will grow strangely dim in the light of his glorious grace.

No comments: