Wednesday, March 08, 2006

An Inarticulate Sigh

Romans 8:26-27
26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

Most High Priest,
I come to You with an inarticulate sigh which only You can translate. You feel the pressure that’s pounding me and know the greatness of my problems. I’m too wretched, weak and weary to even know what to pray, but You know my heart and mind. Seated at the right hand of God, my Father, You're constantly offering prayers on my behalf. Blessed assurance!


I don’t know the future, but You do. I may ask to be saved from situations that are intended for my good. I may ask for things that look good but would ultimately harm me. My feeble, finite mind can’t grasp Your plan!

I’m merely a child. I think I know what’s best, but really I’m quite naïve. You are my Abba, Daddy, and sometimes have to refuse my requests or require me to do something I don’t want to do. I admit that You are all-wise and know what is best for me.

All I can do is confidently come, just as I am, wretched, weak and weary. All I can say is, "Father, into Your hands I commit my Spirit. Not my will but Yours be done, for the glory of Your Son." Amen.

You don’t have to say a word. God knows your heart and mind. Just come as you are, and allow Him to offer prayers on your behalf.

Last night as I was driving down the road, praying in the sanctuary of my car, I ended with "not my will but yours be done." It dawned on me that I should probably always make my requests to God, then finish with "not my will but yours be done. Amen." We can ask God for anything, but ultimately His plan will be done because He's in control of all things.

Not my will but Yours be done.

No comments: