Monday, October 03, 2005

Exodus 15: 22-27

22 Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. 23 When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. (That is why the place is called Marah.) 24 So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "What are we to drink?"

25 Then Moses cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet.

There the LORD made a decree and a law for them, and there he tested them. 26 He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."

27 Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they camped there near the water.

Jehovah-rapha, Lord who heals,
You are the Great Physician in a wounded world. We are just like the Israelites. You’ve freed us from the slavery of sin only to allow us to wander in the sin-scorched world where there is no water. Encamped in a wasteland of rubble and wreckage, amidst broken hearts and broken lives, disease and death surround us. The rancid smell of spiritual death makes me ill.
Dehydrated and exhausted, people are anxious, agitated and angry from their bitter brew of affliction. They can’t drink it. The taste is terrible.

God, give me faith to believe that You are the Great Physician! In seasons of sharp distress, I don’t want to grumble, complain and murmur against You. I want to cry out and trust You to graciously provide the tree – the tree of sweet salvation on which Your dear Son was nailed. I will toss it into the bitter wastewater, and You will sweeten it. By the water, I will wait and carefully listen to hear Your voice. I’ll sit still and not toss stones, behaving in a manner that’s pleasing to You. I will pay attention to Your rules. Then, when I sip that sweet water, I will savor the flavor and celebrate eternal life.

Jehovah-rapha, You are the Lord who heals. You make my weary soul well. You keep my weak spirit strong and healthy. You are my life! Protect me from evil and deliver me from temptation so that I can serve You in the wilderness. Show me someone in my camp who needs a doctor, and I will actively become involved in healing their wounds for Your glorious name. Amen.

Do you know God as the Great Physician? Do you hear His command and promise? If you listen carefully to His voice, do what is right in His eyes, and pay attention to His commands, He promises to keep you strong and healthy. Do you believe God? No sin is too big for Him to forgive and heal! Pick up the tree. Toss it in. Then, begin listening to Him.

No comments: