Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Luke 17: 1-5

1Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come. 2It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. 3So watch yourselves.

"If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. 4If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him." NIV

5The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for speaking to my heart about the issue of sin today. Because we live in a fallen world surrounded by all kinds of evil and temptation we are bound to sin. Sometimes I’m the victim, other times I set the trap.


O righteous God, who searches hearts and minds, search me and point out any offensive way in me. Shine your light on my heart and reveal my weaknesses and vulnerabilities so the traps that have been set for me will not lure me in.


Help me to know the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of my family and friends so that I will not lure them into temptation. Please keep me from using my knowledge, experience, power and authority to take advantage of those who are weaker and more susceptible than me. I must be careful and watch myself so that I don’t become the trapper. I fear the horrible consequences when my actions cause someone to fall into the trap of sin. Woe to me! It will not be pretty or fun.

Jesus, teach me to speak the truth in love with great patience and careful instruction to my brothers and sisters so that they will grow up in Christ. Help me to receive correction graciously so that I will mature as a believer. Guard my heart from the sin of unforgiveness. It causes bitterness, anger, resentment, and division to grow up and choke out my spirit, and the spirit of the other party. It’s not easy to forgive. Daily I will lay my unforgiving spirit at the foot of the cross – seven times a day, or more, if necessary so that I can live outside Satan’s snare. You also say that if I forgive others, you will forgive me, but if I do not forgive others, then you will not forgive me.

Father, I want to be in your grip of grace so please just give me more of Jesus so that I can be on guard against all kinds of sin, but especially the sin of unforgiveness. Amen.

Are you causing anyone to sin? If so, obey God and go seek forgiveness.

No comments: