Friday, March 25, 2005

Luke 12: 35-40

Jesus said, 35“Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, 36like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. 37It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. 38It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night. 39But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. 40You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.”

Dear Jesus-
In the classroom of my heart there are so many valuable lessons when you are the Teacher. Please help me to concentrate and apply the things I am learning. Sometimes it’s hard to believe you, but all I have to do is look in my Old Testament history books and know that you will do the things you say you will do. I know you are coming back. I want to be dressed and ready for service. I want my lamp to be burning brightly with a Holy Spirit flame so that no matter when you come you will see the light on and know that I’m expecting you. When you knock I will immediately open the door, recognize you, and joyfully welcome you inside.
I will prepare my heart by:

  • Being authentic and sincere
  • Being ready to witness with boldness and courage
  • Trusting you and not worrying or fussing about unimportant things
  • Being generous with my time, talent, and treasures
  • Being diligent about the work you have given me to do

Please dear Lord create in me an acute awareness of who you are so that I will know you. I do not want you to catch me off guard when you show up. When you come I hope you will find me living out my faith and doing something that pleases you so that I will not be ashamed. Amen.

What do you need to do to get the home of your heart ready for a special visitor who may show up today?

No comments: