Thursday, March 24, 2005

Luke 12: 22-31

22Then turning to his disciples, Jesus said, "So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life--whether you have enough food to eat or clothes to wear. 23For life consists of far more than food and clothing. 24Look at the ravens. They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! 25Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not! 26And if worry can't do little things like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things?

27"Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 28And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you? You have so little faith! 29And don't worry about food--what to eat and drink. Don't worry whether God will provide it for you. 30These things dominate the thoughts of most people, but your Father already knows your needs. 31He will give you all you need from day to day if you make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.
(NLT)

Jesus-
You are such a tender loving Teacher. This is one of the hardest lessons for me to comprehend. Please stick with me until I figure it out! Every day I worry about:


  • Life – What if this or that happens?
  • Food – What should I put in my stomach today? Low fat or low carbs? How many calories and how much fiber does it contain?
  • Body – Am I too short, too tall, too fat, or too skinny! What if I don't get to the gym today? What will people think of me?
  • Clothing – What should I wear today? Black, brown, blue, white, blue, green, red, yellow? Do I look good in this?

I have become so consumed chasing after meaningless things. Life is about so much more. Forgive me Father for worrying about things that have no lasting value. You know my needs, why can’t I trust you to provide? All I need to do is look around. I see how you provide for the birds. They don’t ruffle their feathers and fuss about the color they’re wearing or whether or not their body is fit. They don’t reap, or sow, or store up food. They simply trust in your provision. I walk through beautiful fields of wildflowers and gaze with wonder on their splendid appearance yet they did not work to make themselves look glamorous. They simply trusted you to dress them and make them look stunningly gorgeous.

Lord, I just need more grace to believe: that I am more valuable than birds and flowers, and you are the God of the universe whose grace is sufficient for all my needs. Please help me to make time to sit at your feet because it’s in your presence that I get to know you and the way you work. When I communicate my needs to you with thanksgiving you promise to guard my heart and mind and fill me with perfect peace. Jesus I will trust you today because I believe you are all I need. Amen.

What are the unimportant things that you worry about each day? Make a list. Post it some place where you will see it. As you find yourself becoming consumed with them, take them to the Cross and leave them there.

No comments: