Tuesday, January 03, 2017

2 Corinthians 5:17

Most of us make New Year's Resolutions. Many of us want to eat healthier, lose weight, and exercise more. Some of us want to get out of debt, save money, and increase our wealth. Others want to change careers, a bad habit, or our priorities. But, what if we resolved to be more like Christ? Recreated in His image, we would be healthier spiritually, carry fewer burdens, and exercise our souls. Our eternal debts would be paid and we would be rich with heavenly rewards. Walking step by step with Jesus, bad habits could dissipate and our priorities would surely change. Let's pray together and resolve to be more like Christ this year. 

 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Dearest Father in Heaven,
I'm eternally grateful that You've saved my life by deliberately removing my dysfunctional, diseased heart and intentionally replacing it with the strong, healthy heart of Your dear Son. My heart now beats in vital unison with Yours. Since You munificently recreated my miserable old life into a magnificent new one full of love and power, I resolve to live a drastically different life this year by being:

Receptive of people who are fundamentally different from me
Empathetic, polite and kind rather than rude, arrogant and obnoxious
Content with the things You've given me instead of envying what others have
Recognizant of the good in bad circumstances
Ecstatic with the truth instead of misled by deception
Accepting of people's faults as opposed to being critical and judgmental 
Tolerant of abrasive people and harsh conditions
Even-tempered and calm even when I'm angry, resentful and mistreated
Devoted, protective, persistent, hopeful and trusting to the end

Thank You, Father, for opening my heart and implanting Your Son. Radically changed, I'll graciously look beyond the diseased, dysfunctional lives of others. Generously, I'll pour out Your infinite mercy and amazing love on hurting, helpless, and hopeless people bringing glory to You through the new life You've magnanimously given me through Jesus, Your Son.  Amen.

O. Chambers writes in My Utmost For His Highest, "If you are born again, the Spirit of God makes the change very evident in your real life and thought."

What radical difference has Christ made in your life? The above resolutions are from 1 Corinthians 13. Can you boldly stand in the light of God's truths without squirming and evading them? If not, continue surrendering yourself daily to the Great Physician until His heart is fully implanted in yours. 

No comments: