Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Daniel 1: 3-4, 17, 19

Daniel 1: 3-4, 17, 19
Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring in some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility - young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king's palace. He was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians.

To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.

The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king's service.

Most High King of Heaven,
I praise You for choosing and adopting me into Your royal family. Because You've made me righteous, I have no defects. All of my deformities were concealed at the foot of the cross where You turned my brokenness into beauty. You lavished me with wisdom and understanding to know the mysteries of Your good, pleasing and perfect will. Now, I'm qualified to serve You, my high and heavenly King.

This world is not my home. My home is in heaven. Like Daniel, I am a foreigner in a strange place. The wholesome language I speak is uncommon here. The Christian literature I'm familiar with is abnormal. It's imperative that I adapt to the way of life in the community where I live, work and play.

You've put me here to spread the Good News that Your kingdom is available to everyone who believes. I can only do that by earning the trust and respect of those around me. Please give me the desire to be like Daniel. I need to go beyond the pleasant walls and protection of my church and immerse myself in a corrupted culture. Clinging to my faith and trusting in Your power, I'll infiltrate people with the truth about You in words they'll understand. By developing meaningful relationships and clear communication, I'll build bridges for them to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Please dear Lord, give me a courageous heart and determined mind to follow You beyond my perceived limits. Give me extraordinary wisdom and knowledge to fluently speak to those who differ from me. Use me to connect my community to Your glorious kingdom for the praise of Your name. Amen.

You don't have to go to another land to learn a new language. Study the current culture in your community. You'll probably discover that they don't speak or act like you. In order to serve them for God, you need to know their values and traditions.

Resolve to build bridges with non-believers by asking God to give you the wisdom, knowledge and courage of Daniel to boldly live out your life in your neighborhood. Find a non-church related group and begin interacting with them.

I regularly attend Toastmasters, a non-faith based organization that helps people develop communication and leadership skills. Local clubs are full of diverse people. Christians and atheists. Democrats and Republicans. Old and young people of all races and nationalities. Many members think and act differently than me. But, Toastmasters is where I go to practice many of the stories and principles I teach to Christian women. There I boldly live out my faith by proclaiming biblical principles every time I open my mouth to speak. 

No comments: