Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Psalm 37:1-9

Psalm 37:1-9
Do not fret because of evil men 
for like the grass they will soon wither, 
Trust in the LORD and do good; 
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the LORD 
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD; 
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, 
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; 
do not fret when men succeed in their ways, 
when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; 
do not fret-it leads only to evil.
For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land. 
or be envious of those who do wrong;
like green plants they will soon die away. 

Patient Teacher,
I'm overwhelmed by the secrets You share with me when I open my Bible and my heart. Your Word corrects my wayward thinking. All these years I've been waiting for passing pleasures. Fame and fortune will fade. Good health will eventually wilt and wither. Beauty will flee like a dying flower. The hustle and bustle will come to a screeching halt when I appear before Your holy throne. 

While I wait, please help me to:
  • Believe that You'll be faithful to Your promises (v3)
  • Do good deeds (v3)
  • Remain in the place where You put me without wandering off or wishing for greener pastures (v3)
  • Enjoy Your provision and protection (v3)
  • Hang out with You, reading Your Word and praying (v4)
  • Hand over everything to You - my health, my relationships including family, my job, my possessions, my finances, and my time - trusting that You will care for them better than I can (v5)
  • Be calm and quiet  - no grumbling and complaining  (v7)
  • Never be envious, angry, or anxious (v1, 7, 8)
You are the only Way to peace and everlasting happiness! While I wait, You promise to sustain me and keep me safe. You'll make me glow with the purity and warmth of the Son. By trusting in Your power, protection and provision day by day, waiting will be a worthwhile investment in the kingdom of heaven. Amen.

Jesus is coming! What will you do while you wait?

Here are a few lessons God has taught me: 
  • It's easy to desire someone else's fame, fortune, health or lifestyle. I need to learn to be content where I am, with the things I have.
  • Caught in the hustle and bustle of the world, I realized that my irritation and anxiety while waiting in traffic, doctor offices, and airports is a waste of energy. While I'm huffing and puffing about the situation, I could practice praying.
  • Often, I pursue passing pleasures, without even pondering God's promises. 
Minutes after I wrote this, I went to the post office to buy some stamps. I walked in and noticed that the guy in front of me had about six huge boxes to ship! With a big sigh and roll of my eyes, I huffed out the door to the self-service stamp machine.

Two hours later, I found myself in a line at the grocery store with a seemingly incompetent cashier. Again, I found myself irritated and annoyed! Aware of my attitude, I began to pray for her.

No comments: