Thursday, May 05, 2016

Watching God at Work: Divine Encounters


It has been a whirlwind week, and God was right where He always is … in the center of my activities.

Last Thursday, I met with a Captain of Delaware State Police. An officer, gentleman, and training director, he was a new friend I met at the FBI National Academy in Ocean City, MD.  Since he was curious about my background and how I landed a job in training and development, I shared with him the story of my successful career working for large corporations, and how I walked away from it all in order to pursue my greater purpose. Peering at me with eyes as big as saucers, he said, “Beth, this appointment was not by chance. I needed to hear your story. My wife and I have been talking about the next phase of our careers. You have been a big encouragement.” While I worked, God used me to inspire an executive police officer to pursue his greater purpose.

On Saturday I was invited to speak at Le’Chic Academy’s Pumps and Pearls Mother/Daughter Brunch and Fundraiser. I was seated at a table with the Chief Executive Officer of Girl Scouts for the State of Maryland. I mentioned that I was from Lancaster, PA. “Where?” she inquired. She had lived in East Petersburg for 11 years. Seriously? I live in East Petersburg, one half mile from where she lived. Our paths had never crossed.

Later they introduced her and read her credentials. She graduated from Millersville University. “When?” I asked. “1984,” she replied. Me too! “Did you live on campus?” I queried. “Yes. I lived in Lyle Hall,” was the response. “No way! Me too!” I exclaimed with excitement. We discovered we both lived on the third floor of the same dorm for one year, on different wings. She was a social work major. I majored in social work my freshman year. Neither of us recognized each other. I have no doubt God connected us 32 years later 80 miles outside of Millersville for a greater purpose than either of us can imagine.

On Wednesday, I met with a Deputy Director of Maryland Department of Public Safety, another new friend from the FBI National Academy in Ocean City, MD. I suspected she might be a soul sister. The minute I stepped into her office it was confirmed. Not only was she wearing two cross necklaces, but the sign over her desk read, “When life gives you more than you can stand, kneel.” No doubt God connected me with this beautiful sister and public servant who lives and works to shine His light in the darkness. Together, we may shine for Him in the state of Maryland while we work to improve their leadership development programs.

We were to meet with another Executive Director who didn’t show up. When my sweet servant sister called to locate her, her voice mail answered saying, “Live life on purpose. Have a blessed day.” Another sister!

Fifteen years ago Henry Blackaby’s Bible Study, Experiencing God changed my life.  He challenged me to find out where God is at work and join Him there. I’ve been doing that ever since.

The message of Experiencing God is built upon what Blackaby calls the “Seven Realities”:
  1. God is always at work around you.
  2. God pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real and personal.
  3. God invites you to become involved in His world.
  4. God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes and ways.
  5. God's invitation for you to work with Him always leads to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action.
  6. You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing.
  7. You come to know God by experience as you obey Him and He accomplished His work through you.


It is an absolute blessing to watch God work around me. Because I love Him personally and intimately, He invites me to become involved in His work. Intentionally spending time each day in His Word, the Bible, He speaks to me revealing His purposes and His ways. As I step out in faith, trusting Him with all my heart, and am open to go wherever He sends me, I am overwhelmed to see and experience Him everywhere.

You too can experience God when you open your heart to His Word, obey Him, and walk forward in faith with eyes wide open.

No comments: