Wednesday, February 14, 2007

In the Classroom of My Heart

Do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like a day. (2 Peter 3:8) It could be a thousand years before God’s vision for Prayer Pal is fulfilled, but He is patiently teaching me that His ways are higher than my ways. (Isaiah 55:9)

Do you have any idea how hard it is for an Influential Dominant personality to be still and WAIT? God wired me with high-energy to be a “go-getter.” Naturally, I know how to make things happen, but my ways are surely not God’s ways. Spiritually, I need to allow Him to be in the Driver’s seat for this mission and go along for the ride or we might end up in the ditch.

Isaiah 50:10-11 says:

Let him who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
and rely on his God.

But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.

O. Chambers writes: “Whenever God gives a vision to a Christian (as He’s given me with Prayer Pal), it is as if He puts him ‘in the shadow of His hand.’ The saint’s duty is to be still and listen. There is a ‘darkness’ that comes from too much light – that is the time to listen. The story of Abram and Hagar in Genesis 16 is an excellent example of listening to so-called advice during a time of darkness, rather than waiting on God to send light. When God gives you a vision and sends darkness, wait. God will bring the vision He has given you to reality in your life if you will wait on His timing. Never try to help God fulfill his Word.”

My friends, this is my challenge: to trust in the Lord and rely fully on Him during uncertainty. He has given me a vision, but I don’t know where I am or where I’m going. I have the ability in the flesh to go light a fire. It would be easy for me to chase this dream and persuade publishers to look at “me.” It wouldn’t be hard for me to warm my way into the hearts of influential people, earning their approval and favor. But, God clearly warned me that doing it my way will result in torment. His ways are higher than my ways, and with the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like a day.

While waiting in the dark can be draining and frustrating, God encouraged me to persevere – again through Chambers.

“Jesus said to Peter, ‘Feed my sheep,’ but He gave him nothing with which to feed them (John 21:17). You have to be nourishment for other people’s souls until they learn to feed on God. Until others learn to draw on the life of the Lord Jesus, directly, they will have to draw on His life through you. You must literally be their source of supply until they learn to take nourishment from God. We owe it to God to be the best for His lambs and sheep, as well as for Him.”

While Prayer Pal is daily nourishment for souls, it can drain me completely. Chambers calls it "spiritual exhaustion." I must remember where my Source of power lies, and daily replenish my supply. It is a privilege to feed God’s sheep, but please pray that I won’t become spiritually exhausted performing this labor of love.

No comments: