Thursday, November 17, 2016

I Kings 11:9-12

I Kings 11:9-12
The Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. Although he had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the Lord's command. So the Lord said to Solomon, "Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates. Nevertheless, for the sake of David your father, I will not do it during your lifetime. I will tear it out of the hand of your son. Yet I will not tear the whole kingdom from him, but will give him one tribe for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem, which I have chosen."

Sovereign King,
Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. When I look into it, concentrating on it, I marvel at the miracles You have done and the judgments You have pronounced.

King Solomon was greater in riches and wisdom than all the other nations of the earth. World leaders sought an audience with him to hear the wisdom You put on his heart. Though You put him in power, gave him inconceivable riches and a renowned reputation, he cherished his foreign wives and their fraudulent gods more than You. His haughty attitude came with a high price resulting in holy justice. Not only did You divide a dynasty, but You also caused a whole lot of adversity, anxiety, and animosity for future generations. Yet, in perfect mercy You kept Your faithful love promise to his father, King David, by allowing Solomon to retain his wealth and position for the rest of his life. Rather than ripping everything away from him, You graciously allowed a remnant of his line to remain in order to accomplish Your greater purpose.

You are the Lord my God, and Your divine judgments are in all the earth! You remember Your faithful love covenant forever, the word You commanded for a thousand generations. It is "we the people" who break the covenant. As a nation, we are in many ways similar to ancient Israel both in our righteousness and transgressions. Though You have made us the richest, wisest, and mightiest nation on earth, we have pompously forsaken Your moral law in order to please foreigners and the fraudulent gods they have freely brought into our beloved land.

I pray that our leaders will seek You while You can be found, and call on You while You are near. I ask that You stir up righteousness in their hearts quickening them to renounce their disdainful ideas, and turn to You the only Living God. When we are again one nation under God, following Your rules for prosperity, wisdom and power, we will be wildly blessed--beyond our enemies. These are the words from Your mouth. They will not return empty. In these present days, will You accomplish what You desire to achieve the purpose for which You sent them for the glory of Your name? Even so, Lord Jesus, come quickly! Amen.

Pray for our leaders so that we don't end up in the same predicament as Israel did under Solomon's reign. Unless "we the people" willingly turn around and follow God completely, we will someday have to pay an exorbitant cost. God's character is unchanging. His Word brings both hope and judgment.

Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. I Chron 16:11

No comments: