Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Jesus' Friend

John 15:15
Jesus said, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.”

O Lord!
I am overwhelmed with gratitude that you no longer call me “servant,” but “friend.” A servant is hired and works for his employer out of obligation and slavish fear. Unaware of the intricacies of the master’s plan, he is merely a laborer who is required to show up, forced to follows orders, and begrudgingly aims to please man. Bound by duty, he has no rights, insight or freedom.

Friends, on the other hand, work cooperatively and confidently for one another out of heartfelt love and devotion. Privy to the master’s wise plan, friends voluntarily show up, gladly follow His instructions, and mutually benefit from the effort. Wrapped up in respect, a friend has incredible privileges, perceptions, and preferences. What a difference being a friend makes!

Thank You for searching me out by Your Spirit while I was a servant to sin, and calling me to be Your friend. Entrusting me with the deepest secrets of Your Father’s heart, You taught me about the free gift of grace, and convinced me to accept it. Willingly, You showed me Your divine plan and purpose for all people, and empowered me to employ it.

Now by Your grace, and in the power of Your Spirit, I’ll stay connected to You and zealously live a life of love. Because of Your faithfulness to me, I’ll freely, humbly and prayerfully go wherever You send me to show and tell others the amazing story of Your gospel glory, knowing that You’ll be right there beside me softening hearts and driving them home to the truth of heaven. O Lord, I delight to do Your will! Thank You for calling me friend! Amen.


Jesus calls you friend and has entrusted you with the deepest secrets of His Father’s heart: the free gift of grace for all people. You have the inside scoop – His plan and purpose for all people, and are empowered to employ it. If you sincerely love and adore Him, remain faithful to your friend and go in His strength, and tell the gospel story. You can trust that He’ll be right there working along side of you to drive home the truth.

No comments: