Friday, September 28, 2012

Phil 4: 11-13, 19


I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jehovah Jireh,
My Sufficient Supplier,

Thank You for showing me the secret to a satisfying life: Relying on your promises, looking for Your provision, and depending on Your power.

Satan tries to seduce me with human solutions to satisfaction, security and significance. Cleverly, he convinces me that I can't be happy without certain possessions. Subtly, he persuades me that I'm insignificant without a prominent position. Masterfully, he manipulates me to look for respect and approval from powerful people. Cunningly, He confuses me, complicating my problems by making them seem bigger than really are. Discontent with who I am, where I'm going, and what I have, it's tempting to reach into his bag of tricks for an instant, momentary solution.

The more I know You, the less likely I'll be to buy into his smooth sales pitch. Full of Your wisdom, I'll be wary of his gimmicks. Relying on Your promises, I'll have a clear perspective. I'll realize that trinkets and treasures can't buy eternal pleasure, only Your precious blood can. Prominent positions aren't as prestigious as they appear when I understand that all authority belongs to You. Suddenly, people I perceived to be strong will appear weak and unimportant. Abruptly, the dimension of my difficulties will diminish when I realize that they're part of Your plan to purify and perfect me for a greater purpose.

I need to hang out with You more frequently by reading Your Word, praying ceaselessly, and socializing with other believers. Then, I'll be able to rest on Your promises. Knowing who You are will supply me with the satisfaction, security and significance I'm seeking. I'll be content when I believe that I am who You say I am: Your beloved child, an heir to an unimaginable inheritance. I'll be satisfied knowing where You're taking me: heaven, my glorious, eternally beautiful home. And, while I wait, I'll be happy with what You've given me: peace, provision and a quiet place for my soul to patiently rest.

Please help me to be joyful and thankful in all circumstances believing that You'll generously supply all my needs in the name of Jesus, Your Son. Amen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you relying on today for your source of satisfaction, security and significance?

No comments: