Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Triumphant Gift of Righteousness

Romans 5:17
The sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over us, but all who receive God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ. NLT

Holy Child,
You are the triumphant gift of righteousness given to me with love by my Father in Heaven. Sincerely sent when I was slick, slippery and slimy from sin, it was a surprise to receive such a splendid parcel. Naked, exposed and ashamed, I eagerly opened the box.


A soft smile curled from my lips when I saw the contents. There in the unadorned, wooden box, packed in straw was the most beautiful, elegant robe made by the most famous Designer of all time, You, Jesus. No amount of money could buy such a costly coat. Instantly, I tried it on to cover my shame. Admirably, it was just the right size! A perfect fit!

Clothed and unashamed, I’ll confidently stand up for what is right even when it’s painfully difficult. Wearing this gorgeous garment, bought with Your priceless blood, I’ll gracefully show Your softness and beauty to the grumpy and grouchy. Zealously zipped with love, I’ll victoriously forgive my foes, as You have forgiven me. Even when the pain is excruciating, I’ll follow Your example by exercising self-control. The most valuable gift I’ve received this Christmas is Your generous gift of righteousness.

Please dear Lord, help me to gleefully accept the unadorned box sent from heaven. With thanksgiving, I need to eagerly take out the beautiful Designer Robe of Righteousness, Jesus, packed in straw, and bought with His life. Wearing it with humility, I’ll love and serve others for the honor and glory of Your triumphant name. Amen.

The unadorned package has been sent to you. Don’t let it go unnoticed and unopened. Graciously receive the robe of righteousness and humbly wear it for the glory of the One who sincerely sent it.

For additional reading on righteous living read 1 Peter 2:21-25.

No comments: