Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Persevering Through Pain

James 5:10-11
10Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

O Great and Powerful God, whose name is the Lord Almighty, great are Your purposes and mighty are Your deeds. Nothing is beyond Your control including Satan who ruthlessly and relentlessly torments me. You are fully aware of my tremendous distress and difficulties. My troubles do not surprise You. You’re with me always, full of compassion and mercy.

Thank You for Your ancient words, long preserved for my walk in this world. All I have to do is look at Job as an example of patience in the face of suffering. Rather than cursing and abandoning You, he depended and drew strength from You in his anguish. Please use my adversities to strengthen my faith. During difficult days I want to dig my roots deeper into You in order to withstand the storms.


I won’t hide my overwhelming despair. My emotions will show that I am human. Mourning my loss, I’ll continually worship You, Sovereign God, who has authority over everything. Like Job, I want to pass the test, proving that I can love You for who You are and not for what You give. Help me to find happiness and fulfillment in the one reality no one can take from me – Your great love for me.

Please dear Lord, make me a person of patience, faith, and endurance like Job. I long to pray continually and give thanks to You in all my circumstances, recognizing that difficulties will
transform me to be more like Jesus through whom I live and pray. Amen.

If a suddenly strong storm comes up today will you be able to stand firm through it? Will you be able to worship Him in it? I encourage you to dig your roots deeper into Jesus. He will strengthen you to withstand even the strongest storm. Spend time with Him reading your Bible and in prayer.

Read Job, chapters 1 and 2. Let him be an example of faith and endurance through the storms. Then, read Chapter 42, with hope.

No comments: