Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Extreme Forgiveness

Colossians 3:13-15
13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.

Father in Heaven,
As I recollect the tragic events of last week, I wonder at the watching world witnessing the epitome of good and evil. On one hand, we watched, stunned, as a violent madman unleashed his fury by massacring Your innocent children. On the other hand, the whole world observed the miracle of Your amazing love and extravagant grace as heartbroken Amish parents immediately extended forgiveness to the family of Charles Carl Roberts IV, the cold-blooded killer.

I praise You Father for offering me the absolute assurance of Your blessed forgiveness. I acknowledge that apart from You, I too, am capable of any heinous act. I’m thankful that You found me when death was staring me in the face and hell was hard on my heels. I’m ecstatic that You saved me from complete destruction, graciously forgetting every bad choice I’ve ever made. Now I have the responsibility to show others that same kind of mercy.

Forgive me for allowing petty grievances to annoy me. I get hot and bothered by such trivial matters. If I can’t tolerate the small irritants how will I ever be able to display Your brilliant glory during a crisis or catastrophe? Please pardon me for letting little things disturb my peace.

I’m acutely aware that everything I do and say is an everlasting testimony for or against You. People everywhere are watching me, waiting to see my response to difficult people and tricky situations. As I walk and talk with You today, reading my Bible and obeying Your commands, please let Your perfect peace rule my heart. Fill me to overflowing with more of Your exuberant love and marvelous grace so that in the face of trouble or tragedy Your miraculous mercy will supernaturally spill out of me onto someone undeserving. O that I could be as gentle, peaceful, and forgiving as the Amish for the honor of Your glorious name. Amen.

Is there someone you need to forgive? In light of the undeserved forgiveness extended to you by Christ, you would be wise to show the same kind of mercy to those who’ve offended you. Can the watching world see God’s glory displayed in You through your attitudes and actions?

The following awesome testimony was printed in the local newspaper about Roberts’ burial: "About half of the roughly 75 mourners at the small Methodist churchyard bordered by cornfields were Amish. The interment was attended by the families of the Amish children who lost their lives."

Jesus leaves us with this example. Two thousand years ago as He hung on the cross dying a torturous death He cried out: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34)

No comments: