Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In The Cemetary

Romans 3:23-24
All have fallen short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. NLT

John 11:38-44
38Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39"Take away the stone," he said.

"But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."

40Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

41So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."

43When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" 44The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go." NLT

My Gracious Redeemer~
Thank You that Paul’s letter didn’t stop at the cemetery where I was dead, buried and rotting like Lazarus. O Jesus, I’m overwhelmed by the length You go to show Your children how much You love them! You can’t stand to see us decaying in a cold, dark cave so You come to us, at just the right time, when the world is watching.

Compassionately, You order the tomb stone taken away. Unconcerned with the putrid smell of death, You care only about us. It bothers You deeply that we’re laying in a heap of ruins because of our sin sick souls. Stepping into the stinking tomb, You loudly call us to come out. Hearing Your thunderous voice, I arose and came to You, tightly bound by bandages.

Risen from the dead by One voice, I trusted You to graciously breathe new life into me, revive my depraved spirit, and make me right in Your sight. Those watching witnessed a miracle as the ripped rags around me immediately unwrapped. Free from the bondage of sin, I will now go rescue the wrecked remains of others who are slowly decomposing in the same grim grave that once contained my own stiff corpse.

Please give me faith to believe that I will see Your glory when I hang out around the cemetery. Show me someone crying for release today. No matter who they are, or what they’ve done, I’ll eagerly go in and set them free with the power of Your glorious redeeming name. Amen.

Are you willing to hang out at the cemetery today looking and listening for someone crying from the depth of their grave for release? When you see and hear the cry, will you argue with Jesus like Mary about the stench, or will you compassionately go in despite the strong smell of sin and save souls for Him?

No comments: