Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Persistent Pursuit

Mark 10:46-52
46 And so they reached Jericho. Later, as Jesus and his disciples left town, a great crowd was following. A blind beggar named Bartimaeus (son of Timaeus) was sitting beside the road as Jesus was going by. 47 When Bartimaeus heard that Jesus from Nazareth was nearby, he began to shout out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"48 "Be quiet!" some of the people yelled at him.But he only shouted louder, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"49 When Jesus heard him, he stopped and said, "Tell him to come here."So they called the blind man. "Cheer up," they said. "Come on, he’s calling you!" 50 Bartimaeus threw aside his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus.51 "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked."Teacher," the blind man said, "I want to see!"52 And Jesus said to him, "Go your way. Your faith has healed you." And instantly the blind man could see! Then he followed Jesus down the road. NLT

Jesus, Son of David,
Have mercy on me! I am nothing more than a spiritually blind, filthy beggar with no social standing sitting along the road begging for scraps when You pass by. I can’t see You, but I know from the noise that You’re there. I believe You are Jesus, Son of David, the promised Messiah who can offer me more than money for a meager meal.

My friends and family kick me and tell me to "shut up and sit down." They’re embarrassed by me. In their eyes, I’m unattractive, unclean and unworthy of Your time and attention. Their critical, heckling voices clatter loudly, attempting to rob me of my dream. They don’t know that You are my Only Hope. Undaunted by their shout of doubt, I persistently pursue You until You hear the cry of my heart, stop and call me!

Tossing off the shroud that reveals my weakness, I jump to my feet and come to You. Exuberantly, I beg You for healing! I want to see! Open the eyes of my heart! Immediately, I receive blessed vision, not because of my bold enthusiasm, but because of my deep, heartfelt faith. Suddenly, I see the frail and feeble destined to remain on life’s disabled list. Instantly, out of gratitude for Your grace, I ditch my disgraceful lifestyle of a blind beggar to follow You.

Detecting others desperately in need of the Almighty Doctor, I stop with You to bind their broken hearts and give testimony to Your glorious name. To Jesus, Son of David, the Almighty Doctor who opened the eyes of my heart, be the glory and honor forever! Amen.

Persistently cry out to Jesus with all your heart, don’t give into the naysayers who don’t have faith to believe, ditch the shroud of your sin, jump to your feet and run to Him! He will heal you too! Then, obediently follow Him and do the things you see Him doing. You too will rise above your disability and do great things!

No comments: