Thursday, August 11, 2016

Hebrews 3:7-11

Hebrews 3:7-11
 So, as the Holy Spirit says: 
   "Today, if you hear his voice, 
    do not harden your hearts 
   as you did in the rebellion, 
      during the time of testing in the desert, 
 where your fathers tested and tried me 
      and for forty years saw what I did. 
 That is why I was angry with that generation, 
      and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, 
      and they have not known my ways.' 
 So I declared on oath in my anger, 
      'They shall never enter my rest.' "

Living God,
What a privilege it is to come into Your holy presence! I BELIEVE You are the steadfast, secure Rock of my Salvation. I come before You with a thankful heart because You are the Great God; the Builder of Everything. In Your holy hands are the depths of the earth, the majestic mountains, the thunderous seas, and ALL creatures including ME. O Lord, You are my Creator, King and Father.

Today, when I hear Your voice, do not let my heart be hardened in rebellion. Open my eyes that I may see the wonderful things in Your Word. I am a stranger on earth, wandering in a foreign land. Help me by Your Holy Spirit to heed Your heavenly calling, and fix my thoughts on Jesus, Your precious Son who was faithful through every temptation, trial, and test, and deemed worthy of great honor.

As I open Your Word today, judge the thoughts and attitudes of my heart. When I am tempted to turn back to bondage, the proverbial place of my past, help me to focus on the future, hold onto my faith, and keep walking forward firmly holding onto the confidence I had when I began this expedition.

Resting on the Rock of my Salvation, Jesus Christ, I will not be afraid. Instead, I will listen to Your voice, do what You ask, and stand on Your promises. Trusting in Your protection and provision, I will stop grumbling and complaining, and truly rejoice that I am part of Your royal and blessed family destined for this journey through the dangerous desert that leads to the Promised Land. Help me to be faithful and holy every step of the way so that I too will be crowned with glory and honor and found worthy of Your name. Amen.

Three times the Hebrew writer warns, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." When you are in a difficult situation, wandering in the wilderness, and God speaks to you through His Word, do you do what He asks, or do you ignore Him? 

Today when you hear His voice, surrender Your will to His Word, and experience His quiet rest.

No comments: