Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Romans 11:17-18
If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.

Heavenly Father,
Thank You for another wonderful word picture to teach me who You are, and who I am. You are the Divine Gardner. Jesus is the solid trunk with deep roots, wounded for me. I am nothing but a dead branch that's been gently and graciously grafted to Him. Completely connected to You, the sap of Your Spirit nourishes every part of my being - heart, mind, and soul. Drinking from the deep spring of Living Water, I'll grow in Your everlasting light and never die. Saturated with the fertilizer of Your Word, I will produce luscious fruit for You.

Though I stand tall, radiant and confident, I have no grounds for bragging. Apart from You I'm nothing but deadwood. I'm totally dependent on Your strong root system to give me abundant life. I know that You will ruthlessly cut off every unproductive limb and preserve it for future grafting.
         
O Holy Gardener, snip me and clip me, even though it hurts. Shape me into the fruitful branch You want me to be. Cultivate me to produce baskets full of sweet succulent fruit to adorn Your glorious temple. In Your hands, carefully and skillfully tend to my branch making me the shoot that displays changed lives for the glory and splendor of Your name. Amen.

The only reason you're on the Divine Tree is because your graft "took:" when you believed, and because you're connected to the belief-nurturing root. So, don't be cocky or arrogant. How can you be humbly mindful of the root that gives you life?

No comments: