Thursday, December 15, 2016

Luke 2:15-18

Luke 2:15-18
When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.

God of Glory,
May my response to the Good News that You have been born to bring peace on earth be like that of the shepherds who hastily left everything they were doing and sought the Christ child. They didn't wait for a more convenient time, until their shift was over, or a replacement arrived; instead, they made it a priority and went immediately. In the midst of shopping, decorating, and entertaining help me to seek You first because Your Word says that those who seek You find You when they seek You with all their heart. You are the everlasting Gift of Christmas. When You trim the home of my heart with the twinkling lights of Your love, those I entertain this Christmas will notice my inward peace and genuine joy.

Like the shepherds, I want to see You lying in the manger. With my mind's eye focused on You instead of the holiday hustle and bustle, I'll notice the unending length of Your amazing grace streaming down from heaven into the hollow of my dark, damp, and dirty heart. Mesmerized by Your infinite mercy, I'll bow down and adore You allowing You to light up my life so that it reflects the wonders of Your love.

After witnessing the wonderful new birth of Christ in the manger of my own heart, like the shepherds, I'll eagerly spread the Good News wherever I go this Christmas, leading prickly people to the peace, joy, and hope of Christmas - Jesus, Your own dear Son - for the glory, honor and fame of Your name. Amen.

I challenge you to take time over the next week to STOP, DROP everything and seek the Child of Christmas. Read and re-read the Christmas Story as told in Luke 1 and 2 until the Holy Spirit shows you a fresh revelation of God's glory. Then worship and adore Him.

If you seek Him first, none of the other presents will matter. He is the only lasting Gift, and the only Gift people need this Christmas. Having spent time with Him, instead of noticing your neatly decorated home, people will notice your newly adorned heart. Then, when you entertain family and friends, and prickly people get under your skin (and someone will) you will be able to show them God's infinite grace and love - the heart of Christmas, Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace.

No comments: